My welding cart

1. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    Hi all,
    After seeing all the great stuff on here I thought I better get my **** in gear and do something.
    Ive been meaning to do this for a while but never had time.
    I first saw this type of inverter cart built by 2 NZ guys that came to do an install of some equipment we had made for them.
    They bought an inverter with them and just knocked up a simple mobile cart from a cheap sack barrow, this allowed them to quickly move around on site with everything they needed in one place.
    IMG_1352.JPG
    Cue one sack barrow purchased ages ago to do the same thing.

The 2 inverter welders I wanted to mount:
    IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

so some 20mm angle later

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

A couple of simple frames TIG'd together

I decided to use the TIG for all of this as I really need the practice, mig would have been so much easier but I wanted to get the torch time

so sack barrow frame cleaned back and shelves added

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

And welders added to check it out

IMG_1505.JPG

AndersK, Arc Tourist, Parm and 4 others like this.
  2. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Nice work, but I'd be happier adding a bit more bracing to the two 'shelves' rather than rely on the two welds to the tube. :dontknow:

3. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

^what he said

moose, Nick DV and cr500dom like this.
  4. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    Some more pics with welders mounted:
    IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

I decided it needed them swapped around and some hangers adding for Cables etc, I also added a little cup and loop to take TIG Filler wires too

IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1941.JPG

The hooks were some stays off another bit of scrap, bent in a hole in my welding / surface table.
    The filler rod "Cup" was a lasered hole blank that Id rescued from scrap somewhere and just formed some steel strip around, welded on and cleaned back

the hoop was another strip I clamped to the cup when it was still warm from welding and used it to form the basic shape befoe welding to the top shelf

IMG_1942.JPG

(Excuse the Scuba tank, it was closer to hand to mock up with than the Argoshield bottle)

IMG_1943.JPG

I need to add some nice strap retainers for both the welders and the gas bottles, then it can all come apart again for blasting and powdercoating

Thanks for checking in and thanks for all the help and inspiration I get from the everyone here on the Forum
    Cheers
    Dom

5. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    Thank you, the lower shelf will get braced down to the axle, and the upper shelf will get removable struts to the lower (So I can get the MIG out) but even as it is, it is very rigid.

The MIG weighs 15kg with a full spool of wire, the TIG weighs very little at all ;)

Nick DV likes this.
  6. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Good work :)
    I've always loved and hated that style of welding cart. On one hand, it's the most practical design, for site work or even just to save space in a small workshop. Esab, Kemppi and Lorch have offered this style of trolley for years - because it's really sensible.
    On the other hand, my eyes like to see a conventional trolley with 4 wheels for shop use... no real reason behind it, since the only advantage is that it rolls easier :D

I'd echo the comments already made, and say you need some extra bracing on the machine frames, or at least some gussets. Also somewhere/some means to strap the machines into the cart, 100% it will fall over at some point if you use it on site at all - accidents happen.
    Are you putting bottle guides and straps on?

AndersK likes this.
  7. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    Thank you, and yes ive gone this route mainly for space reasons, it can sit alonside my surface / welding table most of the time but be wheeled out to work on the cars etc if needs be.
    It will get straps yes, I `m not using it like this, it was just loaded for pictures.
    As soon as you tilt it back to move the welders want to fall off :whistle::laughing:

Munkul likes this.
  8. badabec Forum Supporter

Nice work, out of curiosity, why didn't you build it the other way round, so that the welders would naturally lie back against the spine when moving?

9. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    thank you.
    Because thats where the gas bottles sit, flat on the sole plate and strapped back to the main frame

10. ranchero Member

i like this can i ask how stable it is when you take the gas bottle off

Advertisements