My first welds

1. Hazza1190 New Member

Hi Guys,

So my old Sealey mightymig 130xt mk2 is up and running. It's currently on CO2 but im getting some argoshield from Hobbyweld next week. I used the lowest power setting of 35A and 0.6mm wire. The metal was 0.8mm thick of which i butt welded the 2 bits together. Apart from the test at the bottom this is basically my first ever weld.
    See the welds below. What do you guys think? They seem quite raised but penetration seems 'okay', maybe a bit too much. Was i holding the welder there for too long?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Harry.

2. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

That's a very good first attempt.
    Also you are not picking an easy joint to learn, as butt welding 0.8 is tricky but you are doing well.

I'd run it a bit hotter to lower the weld bead profile and increase the penetration but really best thing is to get as much practice as you can.
    Nothing beats arc time to give you a feel for how it works.
    Don't be afraid to blow holes, welding thin stuff is always on the edge of falling on the floor and you need to find out how much is too much.

Feet 'n Inches, stuvy and Mark 2 like this.
  3. Hazza1190 New Member

Another go today on some 1mm. Power 2 and wire speed 3. I think maybe it was a little too cold? However it seems very strong, I'll try again with the next power setting.

• 20200524_135834.jpg
    • 20200524_135840.jpg
  4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Thats even better but as you say still a bit cold.
    You should be aiming for the same amount of weld bead on both sides of the metal so some more burn through wouid improve your welds.

You will find it easuer and get better welds, if you clean the metal to bright shiny steel on both sides.
    It isn't always possible to get to the backside when working on cars but it's certainly worth doing when you can.

Keep at it, you have got the knack.

5. Hazza1190 New Member

Thank you! :) I tried with a higher power on the same type of weld but it didnt seem to like it. I think I need to focus on wire speed and pattern.
    Here's some on the same steel (1mm) but not a butt weld. I refined the wire speed and interestingly this was on power 1. Felt a lot better. Wire speed on just under 4. I need to figure out the meters per minute at some point...

• 20200524_144551.jpg
    • 20200524_144941.jpg
Advertisements