My First Project - Project O.T.I.S.

1. Swampy

Swampy Grease Monkey

Essex
    :) :) :) ...right I am now saving hard for my Portamig...as I now have in my grubby little mits my first project...!!!

Here it is.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...it is one of the last Mk2 Zodiac's, it was first registered July '62 and seeing as they went Mk3 in that year must be a late one...:p
    It runs and drives but will need new sills [inner and outer] and most of the bottom 6-8" replacing all around...but I wanted something that I was going to have to work on so it is a result if you ask me...maybe...:laughing: ...depending on what I find once I get cutting...:rolleyes:
    Thought I would just shove a couple of piccies up for now...but until I have the funds together for the MIG and a compressor there will not be alot movement...I just cannot get enough of looking at it at the moment...neighbours must think I have totally lost the plot...but who could not love a face like that...!!! Wife wants to call it OTIS [Old Toothy Irresistible Smile]...:laughing: :laughing:

2. Shug

Shug Member

Edinburgh
    While you save up you might want to start stripping it down and rustproofing savable metal.
    Looks a lot more solid than my manta was when I got it.

3. Haze

Haze is it can be hugs tiem ?

West London
    ooh nice, chop the roof

4. Swampy

Swampy Grease Monkey

Essex
    :laughing: ...would love to do a roof chop in the future but for now I just want to get it solid and road legal...it is going to be a rolling project as in I want to be using it in between set project stages...and yes Shrug I am planning to start some "saving" steps very, very soon...tax exempt, full comp insurance for £107...could be some cheap motoring...if you take out the cost of all the gear I have to buy to do it up...:rolleyes: :laughing:

5. weldequip Forum Sponsor

If you add the 3 & the 5 together on the number plate, deduct the 1 & lose the X you've got your very own Bond car:laughing:
    (complete with furry dice! Bond didn't have those in his Aston!!)
    weldequip

6. Haze

West London
    00+3+5-1-X = bond

neato

:/

7. Swampy

Swampy Grease Monkey

Essex

...:laughing: ...dice came with the sale....and my nipper loves them...so for now they are staying...would like to go for the "parked outside the Ace Cafe" look...kind of StreetRod Kustom...nothing too extreme but very 50's...lower it a tad and change the colour...apart from that it is an open book at the moment...;)

8. Shug

Shug Member

Edinburgh
    So is it getting a chevvy V8, hydraulic suspension and a pimpin respray? :laughing:

9. Justme

Justme Member

Looks like its got adjustable spring hangers already

Justme

10. What a classic :cool:

For me the alloys spoil it, but what the heck, go for it :)

Can remember many happy miles covered in one with one of my school chums who somehow got to drive his parents one. Squashy old ride, and sliding around on the bench seat was a bit hairy for the driver sometimes :laughing: but good for the ladies :laughing:

11. Haze

West London
    the alloys are nice

12. Swampy

Swampy Grease Monkey

Essex
    The alloys are going to the tip me thinks...took the wheels off today for a look and they have had the holes "enlarged" as they were the wrong PCD...:( ...so the holes are now more "ob-round"...no good as far as I am concerned...so I will be on the look out for some good ones for him...;) ...least of my worries at the moment though...good enough for moving it around on...:lol:

13. Haze

West London
    minilites :)

14. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Torque thrust II's more like.

15. Mr Sam Member

yes yes and YES and the bits at the back...they for taking uprated leaf springs of some 5 linked ladder bar set up :rolleyes:

16. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    The bits at the back are very 1970's , they just look to me like extended spring shackles for jacking the back up. The rims might be a unilug design that is meant to fit more than one PCD, not ideal but could well be how they left the factory. To complete the 70's look all it needs are some lakes pipes and a couple of red lights hidden underneath.

17. Must admit the idea of lights under the VW Bay I have keeps niggling at me - I see there are even remote controlled ones these days :laughing:

18. Swampy

Swampy Grease Monkey

Essex
    ...:laughing: ...been away for a week on our hols...but have been playing with the Zodiac today...;) ...reckon wheel wise I might be looking for a nice set of Centrelines or Razorlights...do like that solid billet look...:p ...reckon we might take him up to 15" wheels and then lower it a tad...motor sounds pretty sweet, just needs a good Jizer'ing and a clean to see where the odd leak is coming from...reckon a new rocker cover gasket and clean the oil cap and air filter will help as well...so many un-connected wires under the dash and bonnet though...:confused: ...bought a real good book on our hols..."How to Restore Classic Car Bodywork" by Martin Thaddeus, printed by Veloce books...very good book, very good read and the photos are good too, going to buy their other two books by the same author which cover Classic Car Electrics and Paint as well, eventually...:D ...also managed to pick up an original Haynes manual off of ebay as well...result. Right I am off to dream about my welder/compressor combination that I am saving for...have had a chat with good lady wife and have agreed that to keep valuable workshop space at a premium that we should "build" a compressor shed on the rear of my workshop/lean-to...this way we can soundproof it a bit and keep the [valuable] working space clear...result indeed...;)

19. MrFluffy Member

If she waivers, remind her that if your spraying the compressor air intake needs to be outside or youll die from isocynate poisening (and you can get a nice airfed mask for it then). Putting it in its own shed is the best way to achieve that...
    Nice car, isnt the current fashion d'jour at customcar mag retro 70's customs with big slotmags? :D

20. Swampy

Swampy Grease Monkey

Essex

...:laughing: ...luckily she is as much in love with the car as I, if not more so...so no extra persuading necessary...:D ...and not sure about the CustomCar/slotmag thing...although the Husky was nice the other month...;) ...!!!

Advertisements