My Compressor Shed Build

1. Tiggy_dorset

Tiggy_dorset It looks just like a bought one!

My shiny new compressor has sat in my main shed for nearly 2 months. I have finally made some progress for building it a home.

Shed was bought from Tesco Online and took 3 hours to erect between 2 people. The patio has a run off and is not level, so I jacked the shed in each corner with stainless blocks to level it, then cemented the whole way round giving the shed a level base to sit on.

I then put down some wooden joists inside for the ply flooring to sit level on and something to bolt the compressor to. I also packed sound proofing between the joists (sample leaning up against the shed outside) before laying the floor down :cool:

Shed before floor.jpg
    Under floor.jpg

Below are pics of the shed fully lined with the sound proofing/insulation, including ceiling and doors :cool:

Inside fully lined.jpg
    Fully lined 2.jpg

Below is my shiny beast! :D It is now bolted down on original SIP anti-vibration rubber mounts.

The beast.jpg

Next on the agenda is to install the tube linking the compressor shed to my main shed for the power and air line.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

gawd that posh;)

3. Tiggy_dorset

Modifications I had to make:
    The doors wouldnt hang low enough and constantly jumped out of the tracks at the bottom, so added extensions to allow them to sit in the track correctly (It's a cheap jobby, so didnt expect perfection. Its not bad for the price though, to be honest)

I had to space the doors out a couple mm's to allow the doors to slide past the sound proofing.

Drilled out larger holes on the door handles to allow my chunky padlock to fit through.

Couple extra screws added to the front panels to stop tinny rattle.

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Lovely job..big lock next on the list?

5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

oooops missed the bit about the lock lol

6. Tiggy_dorset

Cheers guys. The lock is a chunky motion alarmed Aldi special. At the end of the day if anybody wanted to get into it, a few kicks to the side and some hefty pulling would get them in. The lock is a small deterent for the opportunist and if anybdy were to attempt to get in, I doubt they would be able to do it quietly at least. The bolts are positioned awkwardly and are a pain to undo.

If someone really wanted to walk off with the compressor, although far from impossible, they would need a bit of time to do it and 2 men. It is backed up by other security measures though, so I feel reasonably content with security.

7. Seano

Seano Member

Tidy is that....:D if you're going to run it with doors closed you need to think about two things......unless you already have plans in the pipeline...so to speak, cooling, and airflow, the two go together really but you do need to consider a flow of fresh cool air from outside...not recycled hot air from inside, wouldn't want to see your nice new shiny shed inverted now would you...(I know extreme case, but I have seen it happen to a shipping container....:o

8. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I've extended the inlet on my compressor to outside its kennel (couldn't afford a shed)! You get quite a bit of noise from the inlet, so that should be placed in a baffled box lined with foam. At least make sure the pump draws air from floor level, warm compressed air is no good to anyone.

9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Very swanky.

Fit anti vibration feet to it makes a world of difference also you don;'t want smooth sides, the noise just bounces about;)

10. tigler Expert on the trivial

Another issue will be condensation in winter.

11. Tiggy_dorset

Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions. To be honest, air flow has crossed my mind, but I thought I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! Now I have had some time to take in some of your comments/suggestions and give it some thought.

I understand the importance of air flow and cooling, but I would like to avoid installing an air vent if possible as it becomes almost a waste of time soundproofing the shed. The funnel effect direct to the air intake is a great idea and a way of getting around the problem of drawing in hot air, but doesnt solve the problem of system cooling.

This is a possibility:
    I will have a tube (at the bottom) connecting the compressor shed to the main shed to allow for the power cable and airline. I am now thinking of a second tube at the top to allow the warm air to be drawn into the main shed via a fan. In theory, this should create a vacuum effect causing the cooler air to be drawn back into the compressor shed. The other advantage to this, is a supply of warm air being drawn into the main shed during the cold winters ;)

Appreciate your thoughts on this guys.
    air flow.jpg

Smooth surfaces : A great point. I think I will see how noisy it is first before deciding if it needs further dampening.

Condensation : Im not sure how much of condensation problem I will get until the Winter. I may have to deal with it when the time comes if it becomes a problem. Unless you have any suggestions in the meantime?

Cheers guys :D

12. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

So long as the air intake has to go round a few bends there will be little noise pollution

13. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

It will also draw all the grinding dust, paint dust etc. into the compressor shed clogging the air filter :( and do you want a supply of nice warm air in the summer?

14. Tiggy_dorset

Thanks for the info, I shall ponder over that one and see what I (or you guys :whistle:) can come up with, design wise.

15. Tiggy_dorset

My main shed is the clean shed, for tigging etc. I have yet another shed for dirty work ;)

16. eil Member

N Wales
    Tiggy three sheds - Dorset :laughing:

17. Tiggy_dorset

There is a 4th, but it belongs to my housemate :whistle:

18. Tiggy_dorset

Installed the tube and electrics today. The beast is alive! Sounds lovely, takes 3 minutes 20 secs to fill from empty. Amazing difference to the decibel levels when I close the doors, Im very chuffed indeed. I doubt I will have any complaints anytime soon :cool:

19. harvey639 Member

i know this thread is a bit old now but i was wondering how many CFM's fad it produces? do you like it? and were did you get it form and for how much?

any reply will be greatly appreciated thanks :)

20. Tiggy_dorset

This is the one I have mate.

http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?se...Hp+Slow+Run+Air+Compressor+230V+18Amp+-+06286

Its 18 FAD. I have to say that I havn't used it a great deal so far, but the use I have had I am very pleased with. It keeps up with a DA running constantly for 5 minutes no problem. Having said that I am restricting it with I believe 1/4bsp fittings at the moment. I have yet to test it properly when I set up my airline system with 1/2bsp.
    It also has a lever type drain plug rather than a screw type, which is a bonus in my oppinion lol

I am pleased with it so far though.

Advertisements