My 89 Civic project

1. carotman Member

Canada
    Well, I have an 89 Civic that I've owned for the past 6 years. It's been retired last year because of a slight accident. The insurance company said that the car was a too rusty to be put back on the road. It turno out they were right.

I kept the car and want to turn it into an amateur rallye car. I knew that the floorboard was busted on the driver's side.

I decided to fix it this week. I pulled the carpet and removed the insulation to discover this.

[​IMG]

I must admit that I was shocked. At that point, I wasn't sure anymore if I wanted to repair it or not. Well, I just told myself that it would be the perfect project to learn how to weld. Upon closer examination, I noticed that there was still good metal on the sides of the floorpan.

.[​IMG]

I removed everything with an air chisel. Most of the floor is spot welded and was very easy to remove. I noticed that the beam that goes under the floor was still intact minus some surface rust... that was some good news!!!

[​IMG]

I continues to remove all the rust and grind away every bit that I could find....

Here's what it looked like.

[​IMG]

Since I'm doing this outiside and on my spare time, I had to do something to protect this. I used a stuff called Zinc Weld-Thru. It's a cold galvanizing product that allows you to weld over it. It's really rust proofing and looks good!

[​IMG]

Voila!

I already started to cover the left side of the floorpan with sheetmetal. My welding skills are horrible but I managed to find the correct wire speed/amps for my flux core wire. My last beads were alot better and had more penetration. I will just grind the ugly ones I made and take my time.

I will post pictures later.

2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

The work so far looks excellent. It's quite a shock to find that sort of thing when you lift the carpets.

You've done a good job clearing away the bad metal. Most garages would just put a big patch over and create a double skinned water trap. Looking forward to the next installment.

3. Lurcher Member

cheltenham
    Where did all the photos go?
    Degz

4. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

I hear someone cut through the main power cable in LA today and brought the whole city down. Maybe the photos were on a server over there.

Hopefully they'll be back as they were good photos.

5. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham
    Them photo's still havent arrived, is there a problem over there?

6. carotman Member

Canada
    The photos were on a web server that crashed :(

It turns out the car needed far more repairs than I expected and didn't have the time to do it before winter kicked in. I had no place to store it and it had to be junked. Too bad, this was a nice car. There's still plenty of them on the road now so it's not a great loss.

I will start a new project soon guys. don't worry.

7. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Since you put the photos on the site we've organised a way to load photos directly onto the forum (add attachment). We'll not lose any now.

Shame the Civic has gone the same way as the Monty Python parrot, but do keep us up to date with the new project.

Advertisements