My 1st 'project'

1. Davie Member

Ok guys. I decided on my 1st project. Gonna try building a small petrol engined go-cart for my young nephew.

So, does anyone have or know where I could get hold of some plans, even if only to use as a rough guide.

Am intending to use probably a small (50cc) moped engine, as I dont want it being stupid quick, after all, he's only 5.

Got a reasonable grip of anything mechanical, but some plans would be a good start!!!!!

Cheers guys

2. ^neo^

^neo^ Member

Surrey
  3. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham
    I was having a butchers at go-kart plans a few month back, my mate had a proper frame and we wanted to know how we could mount a Grandad 90 (C-90) engien on it.
    Well anyway, i stumbled across this site, http://www.diyden.net
    That Dirt Devel looks pretty mint, have a look at the builders gallery.

4. sclurgess Member

northants
    a c90 engine is a piece of **Language**. so easy there is actually a c90 class for racing. they aint the quickest things on the block tho :(

5. 6thdude Member

Derby
    I brought a copy of Ron Champion's book "How to build your own off raod buggy" and it's pretty good. It contains plans for frame, engine mounts, brakes and every thing.
    Not really a kart but worth a read. You might be able to get a copy from the library?
    Jim

6. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham
    I found these plans on my travels, and whats good about them is the fact that there free..... Cant be bad :D

Free kart Plans

Edited- You have to download the PDF file, thats if the links on the page don't work.

7. geetee Member

Edinburgh
    this is something i`ve been looking to try for a while now.
    i also thought about the C90 engine and gearing, mainly coz i had a "honda plastic" when i was 17.
    i`ve tried finding a source for an engine, which i want before i start building.
    someone gave me a manual (not self propelled) mower with a direct drive 50cc engine.
    i know i could tip the engine 90 degrees and it`ll still run, but what type of clutch mechanism could be used?

i would still prefer a C90 though, any good, and cheap sources out there?

sorry for the topic theft Davie...... :oops: :wink:

8. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham
    I might be able to help you there geetee, my mate is a C90 fanatic, he's always got spare parts and engines laying about. A few weeks ago he had two C90 engines and a C70 sat in his yard doing nothing...... :shock:

9. geetee Member

Edinburgh
    :wink: nice one jolly, i might take you up on that.
    i`m gonna do some hunting at the weekend, see if i can come up with
    a local source for a whole bike......
    and research tells me that a centrifugal clutch might be best, so i`ll be looking for that too.
    i`ll get back to you if i need any C90 bits.

cheers :wink:

10. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham
    No problem mate, giz a shout if you want something.

Advertisements