Multifix tool post

1. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Anyone use one? I don't like the dickson type I use at the moment, looking to change.

2. HughF

HughF Member

It doesn't pull up tight, holders don't fit too well... parting blade holders move even when I clamp it up bastard tight. Just poor performance.

3. nick952

nick952 Member

4. HughF

HughF Member

I think it's a genuine block with knockoff holders. At least the parting holders are knockoff, of that I'm sure.

5. HughF

HughF Member

Right, multifix sizes for a Boxford vsl, A or AA? I'm thinking A... no access to the lathe to measure up till the weekend.

6. M K Member

Aa is the smallest they do I believe so I'd think you want size A

7. MattH

MattH Member

I'd just get a decent wedge type set mate. You'll spend more on Multifix than you did on the lathe.

I hated the Dickson toolpost, to many protuberances to skin your knuckles on!
    Ive got a piston type now and it's much better.

phm87 and Brad93 like this.
  8. HughF

HughF Member

I want a wedge type (got piston on the leblond, and that's good) but can't seem to find a supplier here in the uk?

Got a multifix A kit in the basket from createtool, with parting holder, 3 Tool holders and a boring bar holder it comes in at 324 USD, shipping on top. That's too much wedge I think. See if I can find a wedge type somewhere, I'll try aliexpress.

9. grim_d

grim_d Member

You wouldn't regret a create multifix, absolutely brilliant. Save money by splitting postage with someone.

The specific parting tool is quite expensive. I just use a parting block from rdg in a standard toolholder.

If you can find a decent wedge style then go for it but I couldn't and gave in to a multifix. It was more than half the price of my lathe but so is the rest of the tooling. The only thing I regret is not getting more holders!

Give me a shout if you do decide to go multifix as I would get a couple more holders.

10. M K Member

I'm also in the market for a multifix for my new M300 and some spare tool holders

Splitting postage would be great but personally nobody knows each other to front the money for the entire order also for us to send large lumps of cash to each other before the parts arrive

Is there any uk suppliers that aren't silly prices for the multifix

Thanks
    Marc

11. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I bought the Create Multifix with grim_d, we shared the delivery but to be fair he did most of the work. I genuinely can't fault it and I saw an immediate improvement on my ML7 as I think my standard toolpost wasn't holding the tool squarely. Quality was much better than I expected and sharing the shipping worked well.

You can provide protection for yourself by sending the money via Paypal, don't ever do Paypal Gift use an online calculator to make sure the person doing the ordering gets the full amount(it means you pay a bit more but have full protection). Make sure you put "Payment for XYZ" in the description.

I think you will find many of the UK suppliers are just ordering from people like Create anyway.

12. HughF

HughF Member

To be honest, I order pretty much everything I need from China these days (wedding dress for the Mrs, check)... payment protection isn't a concern for me these days, but thanks for the advice. I'd be more concerned getting money out of you lot than getting my stuff hahaha...

Might pull the trigger on one, if it doesn't work out then I'm sure it will sell on.

13. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

I have to agree with this...plus after gaining centre height they always tend to creep up or down when tightend up:vsad:.

Brad93 and Tinbasherdan like this.
  14. MattH

MattH Member

Go on, that little VSL deserves it!

15. HughF

HughF Member

it does... only money after all, can always make some more :p

Oh, totally unrelated, playing with a 'new project' at work, got a 750w lichuan ac servo and drive from aliexpress, awesome fun :)

MattH likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

wouldn't waste my money on one. 2 much overhang on them

17. MBB Forum Supporter

I have a Dickson toolpost on my Chipmaster. They tend to slacken when doing intermittent cuts, not a good holder when parting off. I made a ridged four way toolpost for parting off it only takes a few seconds to remove the Dickson and substitute the ridged toolpost. I also use the ridged one for taking heavy cuts. I know finding packing can be a pain but once set its worth having one.

MBB

18. M K Member

I have the original rear tool post for my M300 so il be interested to give that a try for parting when it's all back together

19. Maker

Maker King in the North

So that's what it's for:doh:. I'll have to bolt it back on now and try it:laughing:.

20. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

What are the benefits of Multifix?

Doesn't [seem] do anything that a good selection of std holders do with tooling.

I use a 250/200 (16mm tooling) on the m300, with no noticeable problems, repeatability is good, flex negligible unless taking massive cuts. I regularly part bar over 50mm dia with no problems at all.

I find powered cross feed is the key to good parting.

Hopefuldave likes this.
Advertisements