Multi layer pipe

1. antonio costa

antonio costa Member

Hi

Has anyone had experience using multi layer pipe with crimped fittings or press fittings for compressed air?

What would be you take ou this? I know that it will not disipate heat well. I'm mostly asking safety wise.

I need to extend my workshop air installation and I have access to huge amount of pipe in several sizes and fittings to crimp almost for free.

Thank you
    Antonio Costa

• Screenshot_2019-11-04-22-31-41-167_com.android.chrome.jpg
  2. jack-daniels Member

antonio costa likes this.
  3. antonio costa

antonio costa Member

Thanks Jack, it's the most comprehensive document I've seen regarding this kind of pipe!!! It's similar to the pressure figures I've found. I asked mostly because of the safety (related to the failure mode of the pipe on impact). Some pvc pipe seems fine pressure wise but there is the big risk of shatering and and trowing shrapnel it it has an impact.
    This one since it has the aluminium layer on the inside I think that doesn't have that kind of risk.

4. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    pex-al-pex (uponor/mlcp etc) is fine for airlines - it won't fracture and splinter on overpressure like PVC will.

antonio costa and dobbslc like this.
  5. antonio costa

antonio costa Member

Thanks Hugh. So I've a new project for this weekend. Pictures will follow soon.

6. hotponyshoes Member

If you have the proper cramps and access to the tool to crimp them then pex works fine for airlines.

antonio costa likes this.
  7. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Can you use pex pipe with compression or push on fittings too? :thumbup:

8. hotponyshoes Member

I have seen compression fittings used for underfloor heating and stuff.
    I have used push fit myself but only for temporary runs with little/no pressure.
    I expect the john guest website will give ratings for push fits but personally I wouldn't use them on a fixed airline install

All the higher pressure stuff I have used the crimp rings but that's mainly because its low profile and easily fed through holes once assembled

antonio costa and dobbslc like this.
  9. antonio costa

antonio costa Member

So I will go with the crimped fittings for sure. That's what I've the most available.

And I've full access to the crimping tools ;-)

Thank you all for the help and inputs

Advertisements