Mr Midge

1. norsa

norsa old school painter

On this sad day, Thought I would share this little gem with you. Had to replace a few of the lucas bullets on the Midge. The bullets are made of brass and the decent tool is not cheap. Here's a tool I made a while ago from a 40mm M10 screw.

20170317_184823.jpg 20170316_144502.jpg 20170316_144511.jpg 20170316_144602.jpg 20170316_144635.jpg 20170316_144831.jpg 20170316_155320.jpg 20170316_145402.jpg

rtcosic, mechman, Robotstar5 and 3 others like this.
  2. norsa

norsa old school painter

So there we go. Winter 16/17 project complete. Be back in the autumn with the next phase. Either brakes suspension axle, or bodywork.

• 20170318_182920.jpg
    • 20170318_182900.jpg
  3. norsa

norsa old school painter

How soon we forget. I actually got to fire her up yesterday. Well at first I wanted to circulate the oil and fuel so spun her over with no plugs. No fuel. Pressurised the tank and found three poor joints. Simple fix once I had gone to my favourite store to get some 1/4 pipe for the 1/4 ends!! it has a mix of 1/4 and 5/16 spigots. Anyroadup, got the fuel a flowing to the float chambers. Oil light was still on so I decided to fire her up as cranking it probably wasn't going to be fast enough to prime the pump. Fired up and sounded like a pig. Re checked firing order, No1 plug position, rotor arm, tried again, still just about ticking over but not nice. oil light still on. Serious now. Dropped the oil, removed the sump, checked oil pump was driving, put it back together, cleaned and re gapped the plugs, took rocker box off to be sure I had got No1 cylinder at flywheel end. Valves on No1 in rocking position. Good. check cylinder 4 aaaaaaaaah for some unknown reason the push rod had escaped the tappet??? It happens. Undid the adjuster to get it back in and gave it a bit of a gap. Cool. Whilst were at it lets check compression. Perfect. Right, fire her up again. Better but far from correct. swing the dizzy a bit but still no real response..... cup of tea and a head scratch. Then. Dwell angle shot into my thoughts from nowhere. There was a little gap but very little. Re set the gap, fired up on the button and oil light went out immediately. Timing light to 10' BTDC ( no vaccum) ran like a top. Theres a moral there somewhere but for the life of me I cant put me finger on it. :doh:

slim_boy_fat, zx9 and Seadog like this.
  4. Maxakarudy

Maxakarudy Member

Not a criticism, but bullet crimp tool nips the cable in the narrow below the head, not at the back where you crushed it, best way is to solder, let the stripped cable stick out the front a few mm the solder gets drawn in the bullet.
    Good project well done:thumbup:

BarrieJ likes this.
  5. norsa

norsa old school painter

Well you live and learn. Seemed to work mind.

6. norlander

norlander Member

Smashin, well done sir.

7. norsa

norsa old school painter

Thank you . No G?

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

It'll be in the tonic......:scared:

rtcosic likes this.
  9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY

The moral of the story is that you probably had to do it all anyway....on this end you got ahead of it, as you decided to go at it systematically.....if you had waited for things to happen on the other end...well.....the story might be a little different.

I have seen the tappet thing happen before...just a little sticky from sitting probably and popped out....very happy you checked it....

The other moral, sometimes its okay to DWELL on things (sorry, couldnt resist)

;)

JP

slim_boy_fat and norsa like this.
  10. archie2000 New Member

Nice work, enjoyed the show.

norsa likes this.
  11. AC220 New Member

Looking forward to seeing this winter's progress... :laughing: car is looking cracking! :thumbup:

norsa likes this.
  12. norsa

norsa old school painter

Well unfortunately my early days of being a musician has come back and grabbed me by chance so am working hard in the studio but I'm going to refinish the rostyles and fit some new tyres (the correct size). I've had the tyres removed and had the rims blasted. I'll etch and high build prime then get you some pics up.
    Nick

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. norsa

norsa old school painter

Blasted , primed and guided. 20180330_115200.jpg

slim_boy_fat and zx9 like this.
  14. norsa

norsa old school painter

Wheel silver and clear.

20180401_150436.jpg

slim_boy_fat, brewdexta and Wallace like this.
  15. norsa

norsa old school painter

By the bye. Hands up who likes my wheel turntable

16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    a turntable make a huge difference when painting....well, anything!

JP

17. norsa

norsa old school painter

20180414_132333.jpg

18. norsa

norsa old school painter

20180414_142100.jpg

HopefullySoon likes this.
  19. norsa

norsa old school painter

20180414_163136.jpg

20. MG David Member

Warwick UK
    So the black was hand painted with no masking!

Advertisements