Motorcycle Trailer Fab

1. snoozer

snoozer Member

Hi Peeps.
    Has anyone gone down the route of getting their own trailer build type approved for use ?
    I want to build a bespoke Bike Trailer for my Business and don't want to end up finding out I've wasted my time as it will need to added as a specific item to my Business ins just in case of an Accident with a potentially expensive Motorcycle on board.

2. Cal Member

Bristol, UK
    I believe that your trailer was First Constructed the year before type approval came into force.

:welder:

snoozer, Morrisman, stuvy and 5 others like this.
  3. James1979 Member

If you have lost the trailer plate showing that it was first constructed the year before type approval, you can always get a blank replacement off the bay and stamp it up. You know, to replace the one that became illegible.....

snoozer, stuvy, daro and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

How strange! That's when mine was first constructed too :whistle:

snoozer, stuvy and daro like this.
  5. Justme

Justme Member

How would you all feel if a **Language** up trailer build was responsible for the death of your loved ones?

6. CompoSimmonite Member

Unless you plan on setting up a factory and making hundreds of trailers then getting each IVA tested will be far cheaper than getting Type Approval

Justme and stuvy like this.
  7. daro Member

How would you all feel if a **Language** up trailer build was responsible for the death of your loved ones? [/QUOTE]

How many years were people towing trailers before this IVA etc. was invented ?
    has this trailer IVA etc. saved hundreds of lives ?

how much more unnecessary red tape do we need in our lives

8. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Probably the same way you would if some MOT and Tax exempt ancient piece of unmaintained and rotten ‘classic’ car were to kill them.

Not that an MOT is any particular guarantee of construction. Someone, somewhere, decided that all classics of a certain age were maintained by skilled enthusiasts, so trusted them to keep them safe. :whistle:

stuvy and James1979 like this.
  9. brightspark

brightspark Member

and how many folk fix there cars looking at the haines manual for doing the brakes or welding structural parts that haven't a clue yes there is some crap flying round on the roads but there is also a lot of good well built trailers as well . really they should be a basic test on all trailers yearly because most are left outside to rot for years and people couple them up and use them there the dangerous ones .my home built trailer is 45 years old and mint. just had new tires and units fitted and its never left out in the wet

Justme, stuvy and Morrisman like this.
  10. James1979 Member

This. I think we are one of the few countries in Europe that dont require an MOT on trailers? I Know you do in Netherlands and Germany for sure, as well as a few of the Eastern European countries. Thats why you see polish vans with trailers and the 'wrong' number plate on them - they are registered as a separate vehicle. Would cut down on theft as well I'd hope

Justme likes this.
  11. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    SVA's (wagons, trikes and bikes) don't really actually look at how good or bad something is made (unless it obviously bad) it's more about making sure they're built within specific parameters. with wagons for instance welds aren't checked, but they do measure the height of the wings and sideguards, bikes again they don't check the weld, but they do check that the indicators are the right height and width. I'd put money on it that the welds on a trailer aren't checked, but the position of the lights are checked and the mudguards are fitted right.

rtcosic and James1979 like this.
  12. Justme

Justme Member

I think you need to actually read the testers manual.
    IVA.PNG

CompoSimmonite likes this.
  13. James1979 Member

Some of the stuff Ive seen over the years that has been IVA'd Im pretty certain the testers didnt read that either! Theres a lot of rubbish out there on the roads, cut down caravans and the like, but by and large the home built stuff I've seen is far and away better than the bought stuff especially when you look at some of the supposed big name trailer builders.

You can do your own brakes, steering and other critical components on your own vehicle, conceivably up to 7.5t if its for your own use or even bigger if you've had it downplated. All this without any training or assessment. Although if you want to build a well designed, robust, balanced trailer you need to get it IVA'd?!?! Madness

daro likes this.
  14. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    They're generally only visual tests though, they don't remove any paint or ask for unpainted vehicles. I've repaired loads of wagons and trailers with cracked components through bad design. The main problem with home built trailers is they're usually over engineered.

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

mine needs to be :)its only a 6 x4 800weight I think and had a few big lathes and a milling machine in on scaffie planks out the back end :ashamed:probably near a ton :laughing: had to blow the mini tires up a bit harder to cope :whistle:

outofthefire likes this.
  16. colnerov

colnerov Member

How many years were people towing trailers before this IVA etc. was invented ?
    has this trailer IVA etc. saved hundreds of lives ?

how much more unnecessary red tape do we need in our lives[/QUOTE]

And how many shonky trailers have you seen based on Mini rear subframes and Dexion?

Justme likes this.
  17. fzr phil Member

As a frequent road user, what worries me about trailers on the roads is when they are towed along at excessive speed or even overtake me, sometimes loaded, sometimes not. Maybe the drivers don't know the law (esp foreign vehicles) maybe they don't care (everyone else).

18. snoozer

snoozer Member

Cheers for the reply peeps.
    Tbh a Trailer manufactured by me would exceed standards because the last thing I want is an Accident.
    For example the Hitch will be a Towing eye so that'll never jump off, Noisy but very effective.

19. tom2207 Member

The clever part of trailer building isnt building something strong enough to do the job
    Its building something light enough to be useful .

snoozer and Justme like this.
Advertisements