Motorcycle battery chargers

1. mangocrazy

mangocrazy Italian V-twin nutjob

I've had an 'interesting' couple of weeks with batteries and chargers... I'd left my old VFR750 down in the gaff in France over the winter, with the battery hooked up to an Accumate charger/tender. When I came to start it, despite the charger indicating full charge, all I got out of it was a click from the solenoid. When I hooked it up via jump leads to a fully charged car battery, it burst into life. So my conclusion was that I had a duff battery, despite what the charger was telling me.

Get back to the UK (bike came back in the van) and the charger still tells me that the battery is fully charged, but I can't even get the clock or the dash lights to illuminate. Anyway I've pretty much decided to replace the old battery with an AGM Motobatt MB12U, but their site gives dire warnings against using conventional battery chargers to charge them. Unsurprisingly, they have a charger that's perfect for the application...

So, my question is - what charger/tender would you recommend to charge the new generation of AGM/Gel batteries? The charger doesn't need to cope with CAN-bus, but if it did that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance...

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Don't leave your battery permanently connected to any charger. Plug it into a timer to come on for an hour a day if you want it to survive.

RonA, Alan Reynolds, 8ob and 2 others like this.
  3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

That was my brilliant plan until I discovered that you had to push buttons to start the charger, just switching the mains on wasn't good enough.

ajlelectronics likes this.
  4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Can't fault my ctek no button required to start so a timer would work too. Also has recond.

5. mangocrazy

Any particular model?

6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

depends on the batt type..theres a lot that use Lythium now which require a spec charger......
    never bothered myself, I try to buy a quality GELL batt which is basically a lead batt.......never a prob.....
    with modern vehicles, bikes and car's the comp/ecu nick's just a tiny bit of elec all the time so I always disconect for long shut downs......
    Yuasa is my fav batt and usually even after a 6 month lay off, reconect the bike will start right up.....
    or just an overnight trickle will sort it.......
    not that it matters now as I'm leaving FR but where's ur place out of interest.....

7. carbon

carbon Member

I have a couple of Ctek chargers one is left on all the time without any issues so far. Also have a dc to dc one to charge an auxiliary battery in my van. The battery is an agm type and no issues with that either.

8. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I use two different optimates, no issue at all, but batteries do die with old age. My xjr, first battery lasted 3 years, before it wouldnt hold charge, current one been in 10, but thats just jinxed that, sits on an optimate all the time, because I dont use it much.
    Our stanby generator uses the other optimate seems fine, though I run that fairly regularly.

stuvy likes this.
  9. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I second the Optimate chargers! I've had one for years on my TRX850 and FZR 400 race bike that doesn't move anymore.....:(
    It cycles the charge rate up and down then tests the battery and starts again. They are meant to be left on all the time a don't damage the battery at all. No button to push so you could put it on a timer but it's not really worth it.

stuvy and Shox Dr like this.
  10. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Here's a used one on Ebay, it says it's for AGM type batteries on the top.

They do hold there prices as they are sort after.

11. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

I’ve had an Oxford Oximiser for a fair few years. You must leave it connected and it will trickle charge the battery until full then monitor it, if the voltage drops it will automatically start to charge it again. Mine is one of the first models but still works on Lithium batteries as well as bigger car batteries.
    Only battery that has failed on me was down to a failed rectifier on the bike that fried the battery.

stuvy likes this.
  12. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

I use a Lidl battery charger for all my batteries. The Triumph has a Motobatt AGM battery fitted and the charger works fine. From what I've read an AGM battery isn't really all that different to a traditional lead acid battery, it just contains a fibreglass matting which does something with the acid? They're not a gel battery.

dobbslc likes this.
  13. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Mine is a "Tronic T4X" from Lidl. Cost £10 when other places were selling them for £40. Had it for ages and works well.

14. Yes they do, I have a couple. The only irritation ( as with my C-Tek) is having to select a program every time it is turned on, so a timer is not good with it.

15. Migmac

Migmac Member

I used the Oxford optimiser, it did a good job. Started using it on my golf trolley battery until i went down the lithium route. It did keep all the batteries I had it on fully charged up.

16. mangocrazy

We're down in the Languedoc - Pezenas/Beziers area.

17. mangocrazy

Looks like an even split between Ctek and Optimate... I'm pretty sure that the Motobatt battery blurb is designed to scare you into buying one of their pricy charger/tender units. As people have said, AGM batteries are just an evolution of lead-acid.

dobbslc and lazybones51 like this.
  18. earthman Member

My Optimate 3 shows a green light even on a known duff battery,...they are rubbish at telling the true health of a battery in my opinion.

19. carbon

carbon Member

Agm batteries have a slightly higher charge voltage than conventional lead acid ones

20. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I think my first Optimate failed after 15 years so I bought another, that's been fine for about 5 years now. I've left bikes plugged in for 6 months without any problems.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements