Most efficient way to remove aluminium weld tops

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Ali likes this.
  2. Ali

Ali Member

I’m pretty sure there are purpose made bodywork files for this exact thing, you’d just need a very coarse one. Maybe a panel beater will chip in.

anto44 likes this.
  3. Wallace

Wallace Member

A Dreadnought file works nicely, that amount of alloy would keep you fit. :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. anto44

anto44 Member

Ali likes this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Zoro prices do not reflect real prices. The price I’ve had was about half that.

6. AndersK Member

Yes they eat aluminium. That holder is for curved surfaces and you adjust it to bend the file. Bend too much and it shatters...
    I made a fixed holder to get it rigid and a smaller one for the shattered one :whistle: Great for deburring.

I usually use the body files for fine tuning. but starts with flap discs. The Norton Quantum discs do really good on aluminium
    Can be quite brutal with them and even if they get a silver look they still eat good.

If you're only taking the top off the welds the file would probably be a good alternative though.

IMG_20191011_2333.jpg IMG_20191011_1345.jpg IMG_20191011_46586.jpg

7. Ali

Ali Member

Serious tool envy, that’s lovely, woof woof!

AndersK likes this.
  8. sjp001 Member

I have a fairly heavy but hand held belt sander that I have used with a coarse belt for longish runs of alu weld that needed to be flush. Makes short work compared to anything else I tried.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements