More mig practice

1. Newlands Member

Used up some offcuts to make up some hangers to store ladders. Fitted a roll of 0.8mm and at last got round to calibrating the wire speeds. The settings data in the tutorial section is very useful so thanks to whoever was responsible! Still struggling with neatness, esp at the start and finish so it joins up with the other welds.
    I’m also still not convinced I’ve got the settings dialled in perfectly - i’m getting some spluttering and spatter rather than a nice clean sizzle sound. Comments welcome.

• 64DBE35D-FFCD-4778-B1E8-BE8203AB65A6.jpeg
    doubleboost, optima21, johnik and 2 others like this.
  2. davidjohnperry a different breed

They are good welds visually not much wrong with them

eddie49 and skotl like this.
  3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Ditto - way better than me and I've been struggling along for ten years!

duncans likes this.
  4. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Looks very good. I see the spatter - sometimes lowering the voltage can help. Sometimes it's just the machine.

5. Newlands Member

Well of course I made sure the best ones were nearest the camera!
    And I suffer from what I think all non-pros suffer from, which is that everything happens quite fast. When I watch Jodie on welding tips and tricks running a bead with his ‘cursive e’ motion he seems to have all the time in the world, and when I run a bead it’s a mad dash from start to finish!

skotl likes this.
  6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

There's that, then there's the opposite problem too, when you get bored and rush it :D

7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    It LOOKS like you need to go fast, but if you physically slow your movements down, you'll get on better :)

Also thinking about it, mak sure you have a fairly close tip to work distance (short stickout) - a long stickout can often be the cause of excessive spatter and other problems.

Advertisements