Monitor light bracket

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It's a "fill" light for video use. Been meaning to make one for ages, finally have the time to do it. Fill up the back of an old monitor with LED strip lights.

[​IMG]

Somewhat ironic that this photo series would have been a perfect candidate for a little YouTube vid but anyway. I want to mount it to a tripod adapter so use a bit of CAD to design and fab.

[​IMG]

Box at the bottom to allow for spot weld and stiffen up where it will want to bend.

[​IMG]

Notched out on the Gabro.

[​IMG]

Edited with a slot punch on the flypress.

[​IMG]

Pop a few holes in (much nicer than drilling).

[​IMG]

Bend it!

[​IMG]

Tada!

[​IMG]

Deliberately wanted to keep the stock monitor look and the back panel will fit perfectly but is annoying to ping off and I might lose one of the dinky plastic hinges. So here it's just resting in place.

[​IMG]

Tada!

[​IMG]

I made it so that it would also act as a makeshift foot but tomorrow I'll fit a tripod mount adapter and maybe even start shooting some video. :o

Bladevane, Seadog, AndersK and 3 others like this.
  2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I thought I'd taken more pics but this is it. So far, so fail!

I had so many stupid little issues that added up to one big problem. Finding a 5mm drill bit for the 1/4 20 tripod mount was biggie number one. I won't bore you but I never knew I had so many 5.5mm and where the heck did that 4.8mm come from> The fates conspire I tell you... :mad:

[​IMG]

Found one but the problem was, my spot welder wouldn't touch that galvanised steel plate. Not because it's too thick, nor because of the zinc layer but because it was so dirty. No chance of unbending it. It is already as solid as a sheet of glass. So I had to change my order of operations, largely to get that damned hole in the middle and fix the chunky base insert later. I Migged it *yes through the galv, I know but I don't care. It's a couple of tacks, nobody died.

So after all that, I ended up sticking it in there with epoxy. It's in pretty tight and I wanted to fill those gaps anyway.

[​IMG]

I might paint it but tbh, this was supposed to be light entertainment (!) in between seriouser stuff. Hey ho, it is a darned site more robust than I thought it might be. :dontknow:

slim_boy_fat, anjum, jimbo84 and 4 others like this.
  3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Ok it's done.

It fits!

[​IMG]

It's strong!

It works!

[​IMG]

This is a better test with the blinds open but with the fill light deliberately too close so it can be in shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will spare you the shock of my ugly mug in some test selfies but I am happy with the light and the soft spread.

I have previously made up a ton of mounting brackets for my proposed YouTube career (before my main editing machine died), this one is just a big lump of lead, extendable support and ball head.

[​IMG]

Runs off a bog stock Bosch battery pack of which I have several. This caddy only gives about an amp because the thing is current limited for some unknown reason. A direct connection would allow me to generate vastly more power for monitor lamp II. Plus there's enough room inside the monitor case to fit some 18650 batteries, hence the flying lead until I make my mind up and test it's duration. It needs to be a battery powered device for technical reasons, to prevent flicker. Plus it really needs to be lightweight to stay put on its mounting.

It will also fit regular tripods, suckers, clamps and magnetic mountings.

I am now running out of excuses to film anything....

anjum, jimbo84 and roofman like this.
  4. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Great project Steve...btw i will sub to your channel later:thumbup:

Screwdriver likes this.
  5. cheb Forum Supporter

Very good. Has the teddy confessed yet?

slim_boy_fat, Hopefuldave and anjum like this.
  6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It was him or me. He lost the argument.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. cheb Forum Supporter

His loss is our gain.

8. RichardM Member

Good to see some proper CAD, also good to know it's not just me who still does it :clapping:

9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    The long story is my neighbours are basically film crew so they came over to help me shoot another vid. 30 seconds of me turning down the end of a copper bar, chopping it in half and shoving it into the spot welder. It took ALL DAY! :mad: Different camera angles, swapping cameras and they didn't need the monitor light! Must admit, for a boring process it does look kinda cool tho.

But for the past two days I have been trying to edit the multicam only to discover someone changed my Canon to 50fps when the GoPro is 59.94. The whole thing could be a write off. It's doing my head in trying to time the video/audio and even if successful, it's not such a great video!

Better than my first attempt where I did a quick test record for the new light, get back home only to discover I'd been pressing the "photo" button. Oh how I laughed..:mad:

slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
Advertisements