ML7 Tooling Size

1. Turbo Member

I am looking at getting some tipped tooling for my ML7 lathe. Up to now I have been using single tools in the standard lantern tool post. It's a bit of a faff swapping tools but I can fit up to 5/8" tooling into it. :cool:

I also have a 4 way toolpost & I fitted it to see what size tooling to order. Some people don't like them but I don't mind, they are 400% better than a single toolpost! I was very disappointed to find that the biggest size tooling it will take and keep below centre is 6mm, due to the base height if the 4 way.:(

You could maybe get 5/16" to fit if you grind the tip lower, not something you can do with tipped tools!

Has anyone seen a way of fitting 10 or 12mm tooling to a Myford? I know that quick change toolposts are commonly used but I can't justify that sort of investment for limited personal use.

I have thought about machining a few mm off the base of the 4 way but I don't want to weaken it if there is another way around it. It is just over 8mm thick, I would need to remove maybe 4.5mm to fit a 12mm tool which isn't leaving much to support the tool!:dontknow:

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

3. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

My tool bars I use on the baby ml10 are 12mm.
    I had to make them work but worth it because the rigidity is just waaaaaaaay more than I’ll ever need.
    My tool holders are designed to go up to 8mm keeping me on centre height so I milled 2 of those 2mm down to accept a 10mm bar then I took 2 mm off the bottom of the bars but only up to the point where I want my stick out so the part sticking out where the rigidity needs to be is 12mm. Way over kill for an ml10 but hey who cares about overkill.

• D1AEEBD0-6E1B-4A40-886C-D65DBAFF9D6B.jpeg
    • 3755BF42-A83E-477B-A212-7D8871915926.jpeg
    • 3D08A6A7-F62F-47E7-BFFE-847F664536E6.jpeg
  4. Turbo Member

Thanks for the replies but both of you look like you are using QCTP, which I can't justify due to cost. :(
    I did some better measuring of the 4 way tool post & the largest size tooling it will accommodate without going above centre height is only 7mm!

I have about 8.5mm thickness on my base & to fit 12mm tooling I would need to machine off 5mm, I think 3.5mm of steel would not give enough support to the tool!:dontknow:

5. spencer 427 Member

I machined 5mm off the bottom of my tool post to allow 12mm tooling on my Mellor lathe. I have about 3.5mm and it works fine. You could always shim the top of the tool so it's a snug fit. 20180412_083925.jpg 20180505_145145.jpg

decca, Turbo, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  6. spencer 427 Member

The ml7 and the Mellor share the same centre height. As long as the bottom of the tool post sits nice and flat on the compound it should be fine.

7. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Morrisman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Thats a nice post.
    Looks good and glad its seeing use.

3.5mm should be fine. Its clamped to the slide with a tool clamped on it. Aint gonna go anywhere.

Richard. and spencer 427 like this.
  9. spencer 427 Member

That toolpost is a lovely piece. The hardest steel I have ever come across.

10. Turbo Member

That's good to know, I think the ML7 will be getting a workout machining that off! My hand will be tired too as there is no auto feed on the cross slide! I might try to rig up something to use a cordless drill to feed it!

I did realise that the 4 way base is supported by the cross slide but sometimes you pivot the slide around a bit to get a different angle for the tool, in that case you are relying on the tp base for some support. I suppose I could pivot the whole top slide instead.

I'll get a set of 12mm tooling first & machine the base to suit them, it will be so much easier to use them without any messing around setting centre height!

Thanks for the help & advice! :thumbup:

Richard., spencer 427 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  11. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Mines less than 4mm now I’ve milled it out mate.
    The tool itself gives it the rigidity so it ain’t bending any time soon. Don’t over tighten the tool post locking screws because then you might start flexing the base where it’s thinner. You can get more than enough purchase on those 4 screws with a little nip up.

12. decca

decca Forum Supporter

This was mine after I had reduced it. Not the best photo. Never had an issue with it but as Richard says don't overtighten the bolts. IMG_20180121_150722.jpg

Richard. likes this.
  13. Turbo Member

I've been looking on ebay & I have it narrowed down to these 2 sets.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-SCL...894766?hash=item33ed14ca2e:g:ZjMAAOSwPKlbJYR2

[​IMG]

This set has LH, RH, chamfer & boring bar, all using the ccmt inserts I already have plus some supplied., all for £22.95. Standard advice seems to be to stick to 1 insert.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Set-12...hash=item26027033ef:m:mXZCl6wSszwk-4ht7tA3Gvg

[​IMG]

This set has most of the common tools plus some inserts. It includes threading inserts, something I want to try plus a parting tool. I am more drawn towards this set but its missing a LH tool, but that's something I rarely use & I have a HSS one anyway.

14. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

I have both rh and lh ccmt holders and 5 ccmt boring bars.

I am slowly replacing and complimenting them with dcmt holders as they work better in most scenarios, the ccmt doesn't allow a lot of clearance behind the cutting edge and stuff can get trapped there and rub.

I don't use the ccmt turning tools for anything other than aluminium specific Inserts now.

The ccmt boring bars are good as they are able to get in smaller holes than a dcmt, the trade off is the clearance for chips.

Scmt holder for chamfering as it will give you a true 45° chamfer rather than a 40° with a ccmt.

Getting set up for carbide can be expensive especially if you are using multiple insert styles but the upside is that the inserts last a long long time, I've been using the same chamfering insert for over a year. If you use common Chinese insert styles like ccmt, dcmt and scmt they are only about £10 for a box of 10 in a generic steel grade and work fine for most general work (including aluminium if you are careful to avoid build up)

zx9 and Turbo like this.
  15. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

That quick change looks good, next size up would be perfect for me, but the price nigh on doubles. My four point tool post neither indexes nor repeats, and has no fixed centre point to rotate around.

DDBBEC66-1127-46E7-B853-AD256B90A9C3.jpeg

16. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

4 ways are fine, indexing ones are even better, even lantern and single holders get the job done, but with the availability of cheap quick changers, I simply don't have the time, energy or patience for a non QCTP, even if it is just a hobby.

That being said, my tool post and all its holders are very very close to costing as much as the machine itself.

It's like the steering wheel of your car, you can have the biggest, fastest, flashiest most competent car ever built... but if the steering wheel is a stuffed badger it's just unnecessarily hard to drive

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

@Turbo Have a browse through the Banggood site, they have loads of turning tools. That's where I got mine after seeing @doubleboost's review of their products.

I've yet to use them because I'm waiting for a new toolpost stud to arrive from Myford after discovering mine had a very slight bend in it. :(

Turbo and doubleboost like this.
  18. RichardM Member

4pcs SCLCR/L SCMCN 12mm Lathe Boring Bar Turning Tool Holder With 10pcs CCMT09T304 Inserts

BangGood - they're only £16.44 at the moment

19. Turbo Member

Darn you anyway, I lost several hours last night! First of all I started watching doubleboosts channel, several very enjoyable videos later I was laughing my head off & swearing like a ..... barsteward! :D

A very good & honest review of the banggood tooling - the lathe tools & carbide drills look good, avoid the HSS drills!

When I eventually dragged myself away from youtube I got onto the banggood site. My goodness what an Aladdin's cave, this could get expensive! :vsad:

I found the same 2 sets of lathe tools that initially look dearer than ebay but when the alternative UK warehouse option appeared they were a lot cheaper! :cool: They are a lot cheaper for the inserts so I've just ordered everything from banggood & I'm now £65 poorer! :(

Another thing I discovered was that the 7 piece set uses CCMT06 inserts as well as others. The ones I already have are CCMT09 which suits the 4 piece set. :doh:

So I had to buy both sets but that means I'll be well covered for tooling! :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. slim_boy_fat

Glad you [eventually :whistle:] got sorted, but if you're expecting a cheque in the post to help, you're going to be sadly disappointed - I have my own problems! :D :D

Advertisements