Mig welding for an old dummy

1. Peter Shepherd New Member

Hi im Pete,
    I first visited this site, because I was searching for tech. data on the Wolf 140X mig that l purchased during the lockdown. My interest is in aluminium welding, so l also purchsed a, cheap, spool torch head.
    The conversations regarding the live tip were very interesting. I had anticipated that l would need to modify the machine which is why l went for the cheapest. If l can achieve my aim l will happily share any info. I gained from the conversations that the live tip head is an issue. I have also, just now, orderd two 200A starter relays (less than £7 each) that l hope will allow me to switch between the spool head and the standard one. If l don't meet my demise in this process l will be happy to offer the wiring diagrams.

fizzy and stuvy like this.
  2. stuvy

stuvy Member

Sounds very interesting

keep us posted

fizzy likes this.
  3. fizzy Member

uk
    Yes also very interested!

stuvy likes this.
  4. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

hi,welcome, sounds like you have a plan ,a few pictures will help the story/understanding along for us, cheers and good luck .Arther

stuvy likes this.
  5. Peter Shepherd New Member

Have now examind the machine in detail. The live nozel is definitely switched. So can,t blame Wolf for that. Would suggest that the problem could arrise, on the compleation of the previous weld. There is a massive inductor that maintains the DC amps to the tip. If you terminate the earlier weld by moving the wire away from the object material and subsiquntly release the trigger you trap this energy in the magnitised inductor. Later, when you offer up the tip to the next job, the inductor will force an arc in order to dischrge itself, regardless of the trigger. Hope you find this helpful

Advertisements