MIG weld or MIG brazing for stainless steel. Thoughts and advice please.

1. Antibob

Antibob Member

Evening all,

I am new to welding, except the bit of practice I got making myself a trolley to sit my MIG on, I have a furlough project to make a bed frame from stainless 304 tube (1", 3/4 and 1/2) all 1.2mm wall.

I was planning on welding using 308Lsi but got reading about mig brazing and wondered if it might be an option for my project.

Advantage seems to less heat resulting in less HAZ and less cleanup. Uses pure argon which is easier to get (in rent free bottles) than 98% argon 2% co2 which seems to be recommended for stainless.

Disadvantage is the wire is more expensive.

Sounds like there is a learning curve involved but I am on a steep learning curve anyway.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

stick to normal steel more than stainless steel

and your wrong on your sizes 2x1 1mm is bed frames with also a 1x1 1mm welded to it thats how most bunkbed frames are made

i prefer a pine bed myself easy to repair or adapt ive broke enough beds over the years dont like metal ones they can creak and groan something shocking

kids on metal bunkbeds is a big no no once the frame is bent its near on time to get a new bed

just warning you been there and seen so many bed frames thrown out ive had enough scrap for years to practice on

metalmelt likes this.
  3. Antibob

Antibob Member

Too late, already bought the tube. I am copying an existing bed so got the sizes from that.

4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

To be honest Ive never heard of MIG Brazing stainless........The idea of MIG Brazing is to reduce heat input primarily for car bodies built from Boron Steels that lose their high strength when welded at welding temperatures.....Stainless doesnt suffer from similar loss of strength but it does distort very easily so I can see where lower heat input may help...........The issue could be that the Brazing temp isnt sufficient to break through the oxide layer on stainless (but I dont know fpr sure)

metalmelt likes this.
  5. hotponyshoes Member

I made a stainless bed years ago. Its still going strong now but it was 1" 2" & 3" tube.
    I tigged mine with a cheap tig welder. All the clean up was done manually with scotch brite as I wanted to keep the brushed finish of the tube.
    If doing it again I might try and get pretty colours around the welds I some polished tube and leave them alone.

You can mig braze stainless just fine, the main problem for you is the weld (braze) is golden not silver. There.may.be other types of wire available though? The gold looks ok if that's what you like but it's pretty hard to get a really neat run with it so any wobble stands out a lot more than a silver run!

You could buy a tig welder for the cost of a spool of brazing wire though so personally I would get the joints fitted up really tightly and just buz over them with tig and blend them together. That's presuming you are aiming for a cosmetic finish..

6. Antibob

Antibob Member

My first thought was to TIG so I hired a set for a weekend, didnt go well so gave up on it and decided to try a mig (I had played around on one before so knew I would find it easier).

Bronze weld isnt a problem as I have a couple of bronze fittings on it so should tie in quite well from an aesthetic point of view. Going for a fairly rustic finish to the welds, partly because I dont have the skill to make them look good.

Other option is to pay a local guy to do it, he quoted me a very fair price, the kind where you chuck in a few quid more because he isnt charging enough, but then it wouldnt be me making it.

The tube I got was polished so was hoping not to get busy with the scotchbrite.

7. metalmelt Member

We tried it once Al and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and as for distortion, MIG it correctly and its minimal.

For commercial use its to inconsistent quality means no dice.

Advertisements