MIG, TIG, STICK OR BRAZE

1. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

A collegue has asked me to weld these collars onto his weight bar. Bar is 1bout 30mm solid steel, collars are a casting, so do I try and make a neat tig weld around the flat, use stick in the recess, spot weld throught the treaded hole or braze. Any advice welcomed COLLAR2.jpg COLLAR1.jpg COLLAR.jpg

2. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Once more into the breach...

TIG Brazing would be my, amateur and mildly educated, suggestion.

Lazurus likes this.
  3. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

Personally I think that would be a lot of unnecessary work - all I'd do is to drill a couple of holes around half inch deep into the bar, where required, to accommodate the fixing screw on the collar.

My two-bobs worth.

johnik, eddie49, tom2207 and 3 others like this.
  4. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Cast collars? If so braze

Lazurus likes this.
  5. tom2207 Member

put two or three holes in a line , then your friend can pick where the weights sit on the bar too.

eddie49 likes this.
  6. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    I'm guessing those collars are a pretty sloppy fit on the bar so would need a lot of filler?? When I had some like that a very long time ago I made some washers from something like 6mm plate. The washer were made to be a snug fit on the bar and I think my dad stick welded them as a fillet on the side away from the weights while I slowly rotated the bar. The washers had a bigger outside diameter than those shoddy collars (or at least mine were pretty shoddy), so did a better job of holding the weights square to the bar.

Lazurus likes this.
Advertisements