MIG, MIG, MIG...

1. Brophy7 New Member

Good morning guys,

First post here .

Been hunting around for a new welder for the farm around the 600 quid mark. I've only really used Lincoln and Jasic machines and was looking for abit of advice as I don't really want to spend that amount on the machine at home. It'll mostly be used for making up machinery and attachments so needs abit of oomph.

Been offered a SWP 210 from local supplier which seems not bad, only thing that bothers me is the duty cycle isn't all that brilliant at high amps. Had a look at the Clarke 220 but same issue. I was also offered the SWP 280 but from what I've read it isn't much use. SO, is the duty cycle just something I'll have to deal with at this price range or does someone know a magic alternative I'm missing?

Cheers for any information, thanks for reading.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Oxford.
    I wouldn't have a SWP machine personally.

EDIT:
    have you got 3 phase at the farm? If so, look out for a high end used 3-phase machine... there's loads around and they won't wear out :)

Yamhon likes this.
  3. Brophy7 New Member

Yeah we have 3 phase. I've always been abit wary about buying things like this second hand but maybe that's just me being overly cautious :dontknow:

Any recommended sites in particular or just have a look on Ebay?

4. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I've bought quite a few second hand welders, from Ebay and Facebook. The best machines will almost never wear out. My personal MIG welder is a 24 yearold Miller inverter with an even older wire feeder, and it's got as nice an arc as anything on the market today, and much better than most!
    The transformer on a 400 amp machine usually spends most of its life around 250 amps in a general purpose fab shop, so it's a fair gamble that such a machine hasn't been overworked.

The industrial wire feeders from Miller and Kemppi are overbuilt things that if they "look" like they're in good, original condition, they've probably got tons of life left in them.

If you can get a Kemppi Kempomat 3200 or 4200 for your budget in good condition, snap it up. We have two of them at work, they're excellent machines, compact, it'll do anything you want it to. Or an ESAB or Lincoln 300amp+, bear in mind that they aren't built quite as heavily though.
    There's a nice AristoMIG on ebay atm I was watching out of interest. Looks like an awesome machine for the money. Inverter based, beautiful arc, pulse option, I've used one on aluminium before and it worked really well. Think its going for £800+

Try before you buy, if you can. Most problems like poor arc starts will be down to a knackered torch, so bear this in mind.

5. Brophy7 New Member

Thank you for all the information. Looks like the search will continue then!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for something online, I know someone selling a Fastmig 400 for £1000 which is Kemppi but not the machine you suggested, also a Newarc 4000 for £900. Either of these sound reasonable deals? Was trying to stay away from buying second hand but from what you've said it isn't the worst choice afterall.

6. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I know a boiler shop that was kitted out with Kemppi fastmigs last year, they really rate them. They're a bit more efficient and tweakable than the basic-but-solid kempomat range, being inverter driven.

I didn't think you had a £1000 budget that's all :) In that case, the following would be on my shortlist:

Miller XMT 304/350 CC/CV with wire feeder (also one of the best stick welder units ever made)
    Kemppi inverters, newer rather than older
    ESAB Aristo MIG 4001i
    ESAB warrior
    Lincoln speedtec - any over 300 amps
    Lorch micormig range

all of the above are inverters, that's my personal preference.

Brophy7 likes this.
  7. Brophy7 New Member

Didn't originally plan on it but if that's what it costs, it is what it costs! :) All the information is pointing towards a higher end machine.

I'll call the guy about the Kemppi in the morning and go have a look at it. Thank you for the short list I'll try and keep my eyes open for them if there's no luck tomorrow:thumbup:

Advertisements