Metal Core on F22 experiences?

1. oliwb Member

We've been asked to look at doing a single-vee butt weld in the horizontal on rotated pipe using a metal-core (low hydrogen) wire in F22. I'm assuming this means an E70C-M6 wire but am not 100% sure. Has anyone done anything like this before & able to share any wisdom?

Thanks in advance,
    Oli.

2. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Never used the specific wire you mention, I have limited experience with metal cored wires but whenever i've welded with them it's an absolute treat. Very small amounts of spatter, get them into spray arc and the arc feels incredibly smooth, barely any clean up time and travel speed can increase quite a bit.
    Welded with some Bohler HL 46 t-MC a couple of weeks ago and was extremely impressed.

3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

ESAB Coreweld 46 LT is another good one.

And there’s Tubrod 14.12 or is it 14.13 I forget. That’s a great wire.

Tom Orrow L and Richard. like this.
  4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Look Im out of touch with current specs etc....but isnt F22 2Cr1Mo steel?.....and isnt E70C-M6 a mild steel wire?
    I should check it out

5. oliwb Member

Yes - 2Cr1Mo. Like I say I'm not sure what wire we should be using here. I just know it needs to be a low-hydrogen consumable and therefore solid wire is out. F22 has a yield of about 70-80ksi hence my assumption. Very happy to take any advice going!

6. oliwb Member

7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    solid wire IS a low hydrogen consumable... but maybe not low enough for the application? Or maybe specific toughness properties needed...
    Whoever does your weld procedure testing, maybe ask them and see what they've seen that works?

8. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Solid wire is a Low Hy consumable.........2Cr1Mo pipe is usually welded using a 1CrMo TIG root and filled with 2CrMo sticks or solid wire or cored wire....usually a procedure exists or one is developed.

9. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

If I were you oliwb try to get as much details from your custom as possible and phone esab .they are the mutz mutz and will tell you exactly what you need including pre heat and post heat if needed. Dont know if you needed to make a wps or not but at least you get the most suitable wire.

10. oliwb Member

Thanks folks. There is no procedure, we're being asked to develop one for the customer and then run the production. Normally we do downhole stuff for this customer so the materials & requirements are very different. This is the first time doing a traditional pipe weld and it's all surface equipment. I'll have a chat with Bohler who are our normal supplier. The information I've given has come straight from the customers engineering department. They're not welders or metallurgists but at the same time that doesn't mean we can just ignore them / go & tell them you're wrong about the low hydrogen.... There's always some level of the customer's always right.

Seems as if this is a sort of unusual case as all the replies have been theoretical. Was hoping someone would be like - oh yeah, we do it all the time.... You want 'x' and watch out for 'y'.

Wonderweaver likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

If Bohler can’t help you with the procedure give me a PM, I will send you the details of the Technical guy at Esab.
    Tony will have this sort of thing in a file, with a procedure you could use as a basis to construct your own WPQR & WPS.

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You don’t get much more low hydrogen than solid wire.

Gas Shielded Flux Core or SMAW consumable will do the job also

13. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

14. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

15. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

16. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I used to be on the Technical Staff at Lincoln Electric and i advised on projects like this every day...I wrote all that, however, I found that a soft root produced better results so as i said earlier 1CrMo for the root, fill and cap with 2CrMo

Brad93 and Wonderweaver like this.
  17. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Oh very good. So why such a high ksi for the filler and is the pwht essential???

18. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

The high Ksi is to match the strength of the base metal, but more imprtantlly it matches the creep resistance.......pipes can sag when laid across stanchions and even spread when in a ditch....the CrMo produces a structure that resists this sagging.
    The pwht is to relieve any stresses caused by welding and will reduce any brittleness so it increases the life of the pipeline

zst and Wonderweaver like this.
Advertisements