Mercedes 190e

1. owas

owas Member

A 30 year old Mercedes was always going to become a project :whistle:

1991 1.8 190e basic spec bought completly blind.

The plan is to get it ready for its Mot, then drive it for a year, it'll come off the road for a underbody rebuild after that.

Ive had it up and while it's abit dirty, the majority of the body is still in very good condition,

Actually only a few jobs to do for the MOT,
    Spring perch is starting to rust away on one side, I'll chop the rusty bit out and weld in a new bit.

Middle silencer is completly shot, I might just do away with this and put a straight pipe temporarily for MOT, it'll get a full stainless system in the rebuild.

Inner arch joint rotten out, looks like I have plenty of access to this so should be fairly easy.

• IMG_20201009_161905.jpg
    • IMG_20201009_115428.jpg
    • IMG_20201009_115634.jpg
    Pigeon_Droppings2, Parm and johnik like this.
  2. a111r Member

Probably got an 8 link rear suspension kit for that going spare...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. roblane65

roblane65 Member

Will you have the pictures of the repairs posted up by monday ? :whistle:

4. owas

owas Member

Probably should've been clearer lol I'm starting the welding tomorrow :whistle:

Will be doing bits of the rebuild as I'm driving it (rusty wings/arches ect)

Still mot'd till feb

Parm likes this.
  5. roblane65

roblane65 Member

Ahh thats no good ! we need pictures of the welding sharpish. :scared:

6. owas

owas Member

Well I'm currently doing plently of welding :whistle: takes some motivation to get the welder out at home after this :doh:

• IMG_20201009_174409.jpg
    jpmillermatic, Parm and roblane65 like this.
  7. premmington

premmington Member

"Spring perch" you can buy these ready to weld on - did a pair on a W210 last year - not a bad job at all.

I got the internal thread spring compressor kit here - shame you was not closer - you could have borrowed it for the job - doubt I will ever use it again (but you never know?)

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  8. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    merc are known as rot box's for the price of them they shouldn't rot that bad.

9. a111r Member

This one pre-dates the bad period: 1996 to 2006.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    I dont know much about them but been told to keep well away from them besides rot its expensive on parts to.

11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I believe that was before the bean counters took control and their slashing of production and materials costs resulted in poor/reduced quality.

tom2207, Parm and a111r like this.
  12. roblane65

roblane65 Member

If thats the worst of rot hes got on 30 year old car hes got a good un . Looking forward to some pics of the repairs. ;)

owas, Parm, a111r and 1 other person like this.
  13. a111r Member

14. owas

owas Member

After grinding away the rusty part, it was very localised, the rest is still like new under the coating,I decided to repair it in situ

Cut out the rust, and ground away the spot welded flange leaving me with nice shiny clean steel, made a patch and seam welded the lot.

Seems like a pretty weak design from the factory?

• IMG_20201011_115538.jpg
    • IMG_20201011_125245.jpg
    jpmillermatic, roblane65 and eSCHEn like this.
  15. w124tony New Member

Nice work, looks like a nice weld. The lower plastic panels and bumpers are the wrong color No?
    should be a contrasting grey?

owas likes this.
  16. owas

owas Member

Probably been painted at some point it, I do prefer it though , need to get them off to check the condition of the sill.

The bottom of the inner arch has gone on both sides, did try and start on cutting it out yesterday but couldn't quite get in, I'll have to remove the headlights and front bumper.

Should be simple enough then.

17. owas

owas Member

Well this is a boring project, everything works and it looks like someone's already been through all the suspension :ashamed:

Other than the small localised bits where the undercoating has failed, it's all still like new under the muck :laughing: I'll give it a clean and paint anyway

• IMG_20201017_162914.jpg
    • IMG_20201017_163936.jpg
    Cobbler likes this.
  18. owas

owas Member

Got the one side welded, was abit of a pain making the patch but it's all butt welded in, couldn't clean it up with my neighbours car close so I'll leave the grinding and painting till tomorow.

My new wings and back arches turned up yesterday too, panels for these are very cheap.

• IMG_20201018_141716.jpg
    a111r and mechman like this.
Advertisements