maximum distance for a butt weld

1. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Hi all

Just a quickie as I c*ck?d something up recently and cut it too small...

is there a maximum distance between two pieces when butt welding? and what would it do if you simply bridged the gap in short runs to fill it?

Many thanks

Rob

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    If strength isnt a key factor, just build it up a bit at a time.

3. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I was hoping that's not what you would say.
    To be honest that's what I did and then sat back to ponder how strong it would be and whether it was a good idea.
    I don't know if strength is an issue, the part in question does have a plate over the top which is welded again. Could it tear, split or crack under the plate and remain invisible weakening the structure?
    Is a weld as strong as 2.0mm sheet?
    I can bash it with a hammer and it's ok but there is just that small element of 'is it ok' and 'should I do it again properly' which will really hack me off.
    Regards
    Rob

4. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I dont know you skill level Rob, but as long as you have proper penetration it should be fine, be carefull not to undercut the edges aswell though.
    What is it on Rob? What sort of gap are we talking?

5. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I'm not a proffessional if that's what you mean but I can get a strong weld with good penetration.
    The gap would have been possibly 2-3mm so not huge but enough to make me think twice about it. It's on the main chassis member and as I say it does have another plate welded over the top anyway - well to be honest it's got an outrigger chamfered over it as well as a strengthening plate over the weld itself so I'm perhaps being paranoid.
    I'll perhaps bash it again with a hammer again tomorrow just to satisfy myself that's it's as strong as if it were a close joint.
    Being new to this kind of thing, I just wondered on the strength of the weld material compared to material strength of sheet metal. The welds I've done so far certainly gives the angle grinder a good fight!
    Regards
    Rob

Advertisements