Maxigas 400 v butane/propane mix

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Hello, I have a Rothenberger mini oxy/maxigas for brazing, mostly aluiminim / bronze.
    Have replaced the R maxi gas disposable bottles a few times with the same, usually around £20 for 600ml. On the R maxi gas mix it says butane 49% propane 28% acetone 17% methyl acetylene 1.5%

Have seen I can get disposable 630ml butane / propane mix for less than a fiver with the same EN 417 fitting. If I use that instead of the R gas would it be safe? and would it perform differently like not so hot?

Thought I would ask before I tried it

More Amps likes this.
  2. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Ive just read that the mix for the cheaper gosystem cans is 70/30 butane/propane mix, would that be safe with oxygen?

3. dannyp Member

they are all fuel gases and all safe with oxygen, how well they work as in how sutable / ease of use of the flame may be somwhat diffrent tho, i cant see the flame tempriture being that diffrent ether tbh, may find the butane just gets to cold and wont come out the cylinder.

for a while now i've been useing the other style of rothenberger bottel on a littel oxy fuel setup and a fuel air torch , and i've just been fillign the bottels useing a naughty brass adapter i got off ebay

4. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Yep, exactly that, thanks both. Worked fine but not hot enough on a back to back test with bronze brazing for example but cheaper to do aluminium low temp robs with.
    Touch of acetylene makes a big difference:thumbup:

Advertisements