Materials needed to create back taping/soft edge?

1. Edward Yemm Member

Hi. Where can I buy masking paper with a taped edge? What is it called? Alternatively, I might make it up using wide masking tape and newspaper. I need to back tape a panel with primer on it. I have an area that was uneven that I need to re prime. I’m not even going to sand back the guide coat on the rest of the panel yet because I know it’s flat and I’ll just end up cutting through the primer again if I sand it more than once. Thanks.

2. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Frog Tape?

Edward Yemm likes this.
  3. Edward Yemm Member

I found out what it’s called now. It’s taped masking film. It’s got a line of tape on one side of a polythene sheet. Bodyshops and painters and decorators use it. I’ve got some polythene and some very wide masking tape so I’ll make my own for now. You tape it to just past where you want to spray to. You have the polythene over the area you want to spray. You then bend back the polythene over the area that you don’t want to paint. This creates a curved (soft) edge so the spray goes into that little area on the edge with difficultly. You end up with a spattered spray edge which is easier to flatten and blend than a solid line that you get if you just spray 3-4 coats up to the edge of masking tape.

4. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, I've always just used ordinary tape, don't stick it down across its full width then just curl the tape up. Then tape away from that as normal.

Colin

5. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Definitely don't use newspaper as masking paper. It soaks through....

anjum and Edward Yemm like this.
  6. Slowcoach Member

Soft edge masking foam is what it’s called. Or you can just roll the tape over.

Edward Yemm likes this.
  7. Edward Yemm Member

I’ve always used it. I do get some small patches of overspray but normally only where there’s a gap that isn’t totally sealed. I figured that’s what rubbing compound is used for.

8. Edward Yemm Member

My attempt at making my own soft edge. Picture of it for anyone who it may benefit. I’m going to start using this from now on. Cut down on the amount of sanding I’m having to do.

• 91DC4E65-4484-4987-9DF1-E009824BA867.jpeg
  9. Edward Yemm Member

Polythene sheet cut to size. If it sticks down to the paint when you spray, fold it back a bit more and re tape.

• 4CD1E7B7-13B4-4BC4-92F0-4C416A38EC2C.jpeg
    • CFD47383-5CA4-4E2F-AFEB-B13443B3CF97.jpeg
Advertisements