Making a Bracket To Support End Of Pot Pipe

1. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

I don't have any welding skills, anything like that. How could I make up a type of support for the end of the pipe, some sort of bracket that clamps on to one or both of the handles, and the water trap?
    Fittings just loosely on but the pipe I tightened quite well in, seems pretty rigid and strong.Three 3/8 hoses would add some more weight

• Pot Assembly.JPG
  2. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

If you can't weld you could still fabricate a bracket from the trucks handle using pop rivets or nuts and bolts easily enough

3. hotponyshoes Member

Get a bit of tube or block of wood / length of broom handle.
    Hole saw / drill through each end at 90deg then cut through the middle of the holes to give you a U shape on each end.
    Wedge between the handle and the pipe.
    Tighten a few cable ties around the whole lot.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  4. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    If you’re not worried about aesthetics how bout a short piece of board or blocknof wood supported by saddles round the handles and straddling across the 2 handles right behind where the assembly is now. Then secure assembly to wood using the same kind of saddles.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. optima21 Forum Supporter

a couple bits of wood and some long screws will do. this is how my filters etc are mounted on my compressor. the compressor isnt modified the wood just clamps arround the handle

[​IMG]

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK thanks and how so?

7. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK what are saddles :)

8. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Um, have you used those threaded insert things in the wood, then the bolts screw into them? How have you attached the filter and reg to the wood? Cheers.

9. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Man with an idea :) cheers.

10. optima21 Forum Supporter

they are long coach screws so the screws just go into the wood.

the blue lid under the wood is screwed to the wood too.

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I would fit a shaped wedge of wood under the primary pipe coming out from the top. Shaped to fit the curve of the top and support the "chrome" pipe. Then on the other side, a simple wire sling coming down from the handle tied to the unsupported end of the extended section.

It's only gravity you're defending against in order to prevent droop and long term fatiguing. If it's going to get moved around a lot with the heavy hoses in place, you may need a more robust solution.

12. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK cheers.

13. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Thanks.

14. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
  15. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

The pot handles are 22mm diameter, if can get adjustable saddle type clamps I think that would be ideal as could attach them to a suitable sized piece of timber to butt up under the pipe for additional support. Attached photo showing amount of overhang of the pipe.

• Pipe Overhang.JPG
  16. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Bracket.jpg
    Drawn strip low for clarity.
    Strip of metal (or wood at a pinch) fixed across the handles at the correct height with saddle clips to pipework.
    Clips may need spacing off to suit.

17. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Thanks for that,
    I do have some lengths of flat, angle iron, bar I think is called around 1/4 inch thick by say 1 inch wide and long enough. Have a floor standing pillar drill for my woodwork and metal cutting bits. Would self tapping screws be up to this application? Don't quite grasp how the saddles come into the picture? How would I adjust position of bar to butt up against pipe to provide support?
    " saddle clips to pipework "

18. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Oh right I see what you mean now. I did have a pop riviter I think I still have it.

Advertisements