Making a Balustrade

1. shorter_alexander Member

Hi guys,

so I need to make a balustrade for a garden retaining wall at a property I own. I want to make it out of 30mm box section and expanded steel. it will be rectangular with 2 feet (atleast) either end and possibly one in the middle. My question is how long can 30mm box section run before it gets unstable? I need the balustrade to be 30mm as its in front of a set of windows and need to keep the balustrade lined up with the window mullions which are also 30mm so it looks good and light isn't blocked out too much. The entire run will be 3m. In an ideal world the 30mm box would run the entire length with no supports in the middle but this may be unrealistic. Any help would be amazing?

Thanks guys.

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Expanded metal. As in mesh?
    Is it a prison? lol

you want to stick to 3 metre bays really with 30x30x3.

Mr Roo likes this.
  3. shorter_alexander Member

hahahaha, not quite a prison but pretty close! my wife seems to think that it looks good! so 3m should be fine?

4. shorter_alexander Member

She wants it to look like this

• 06807420-CEB7-4C90-943D-4F73CF4A59C7.png
  5. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

I'm having a little difficulty visualising what you intend to do so a photo of the area with perhaps an overlay of the design could be handy.

if you going to use thinner profile 'Expamet' then I'd be inclined to put a support in the centre of the run as it could flex too much without. On larger machine guards, to reduce flexing, we'd often cut inspection panels out of a sheet and line them with 'Expamet' rather than have a fully open face.

6. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

I’ve just made a window 2m x 1m out of 30mm sq, the long edge of that was quite flexible before I fitted the glazing bars, so 3m will be even more so.

How are going to attach the expamet? It may bring a bit of rigidity itself.

7. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

With the light stuff, we used to cut oversize and bend the edges to 90 deg. Easy to do with a vice and a couple of lengths of angle.

8. shorter_alexander Member

thanks guys, I was going to put a small bit of angle under the box sections to fit the expamet on to. ill to put-up some picture of the space when I go there later.

9. shorter_alexander Member

The space is like this. I’m just going to get the bits to do one bit first and see if I like it and then build the rest if I do!

• 30367E30-AE53-411B-9DB4-0C154386EBA1.jpeg
    • A41B4726-BAB6-4509-BEA5-AD21A364F7BF.jpeg
    • DF042C00-C1F9-4E20-ABE5-143BD2BFB78F.jpeg
    • 4847064E-8F81-470E-8A01-C97B75C1D87A.jpeg
  10. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

Balustrade vertical post positions vary depending on the materials used. With what you are proposing, I would be thinking a max span between posts centres of 1 metre.
    Some of those expanded sections can be a bit sharp too, if it were me doing it, I would probably get it galvanised and powdercoated.
    Are you planning on fixing to the side or the top of the timbers ?

11. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Gotta hope the grandkids don’t stick their fingers through the holes, as they are notoriously sharp where sheared.

12. shorter_alexander Member

Thanks guys. I guess I’ll have to just see when it’s welded together what it’s like. I may end up going for something like this instead

• 8873039D-6C7E-469A-8958-0A0C7C44FB86.png
  13. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I cant think of a less suitable material for an infill panel in a domestic environment, Flattened Expamet would be more suitable but still temping for little fingers, if you do use it though I would buy some proper "U" edging for it and frame it, it will make it much easier to fix to the 30mm frame

Feet 'n Inches and Welderpaul like this.
  14. colnerov

colnerov Member

You could try perforated sheet, it might be a bit less likely to wobble.

15. shorter_alexander Member

Certainly don’t want anyone to hurt themselves on it so I’ll take your guys advice. I’ll get some samples of bits and see which won’t end up in people losing fingers. Thanks guys

16. shorter_alexander Member

I’m going to try to find something like this. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get it from?

• 17881D47-6775-4214-BB86-66E2082A2BE9.jpeg
  17. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

18. nickk Forum Supporter

F h brundle stock a large range of welded and perforated and woven mesh,plus edging sections,if you want minimum amount of posts you need secure method of fixing them,this can be helped with stiffeners in the frame to keep it minimal.

Advertisements