thank you in advance

bill

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. hotrodder Member

SE England
  3. billsmowers Member

cornwall uk
    thanks just sent them a email
    i see they do sale az92 rod but it looks like 2kg packs so cost will be to much i expect for what i want

thanks for your help

bill

4. hotrodder Member

SE England
    Is it critical or the 'typical' casting repair where it just needs sticking back together/building up with something that'll physically work? If the later and more of a one off than regular work i'd be inclined to use the SIF magnesium #23 simply because mag wire is 'kin expensive and SIF sell it 12 rod packs. Just checked the composition and it's listed as 8% Al, 0.72% Zn and 0.3% Mn so it's only slightly lean

5. astro_al Rocket Scientist

Winchester-ish
    I have some magnesium rods here - probably around 3kg of them.

Two tubes appear to contain 'A291C' Magnesium - whatever that is, 1/8" dia rods.

The other tube just says 'Mag' on the side, so I guess its just pure - I think they're 1/8 too.

These packs are from Magnesium Elektron in Swindon. Looks like they all need a bit of a clean before use, but that's not insurmountable.

Happy to send any number you require for beer money - let me know if that helps, Al.

6. billsmowers Member

cornwall uk
    Thanks Al
    i have sent a email to magnesium elektron to get a price if i have a problem i will be back to you to take up the offer.

the repairs i have to do are broken chainsaw cases where a tree fell on the saw and broke the magnesium case. Also i have one where the exhust worked lose and broke the mounting so this will need bulding back up drilling & taping to make good. I have been turning this work away till i bought the tig so i have some old caseings to practice on before i work on the customers machines

bill

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

Don't get it too hot Bill, and have a bucket of sand handy. Very much like ally welding.

8. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Any more info on the A291C rods, I cannot find any info at all. Might be interested in buying a hand full or so.

9. hotrodder Member

SE England
    AZ91c makes more sense than a291c... Maybe Al will trade you for a new pair of reading glasses [​IMG]

10. Shox Dr

doh!!:I should have picked that up myself, I've had a heavy beer swilling weekend away on the bikes laughing:

11. Shox Dr

Just found this (table 3) lists AZ91c as both used as the casting Alloy and the Spec of filler rods to repair. Suitable for Cast Alloys made by Sand and permanent mold types.

This link to google books, shows some examples of uses.

Al, what would you want for say .5kg and 1kg (I doubt I will ever use a kilo but tis better to have and not need than the need and not have.)

12. billsmowers Member

cornwall uk
    Ok from the chart the rod i need is az91 c/d for the repair chainsaw castings
    i would also be intrested in 1/2 kg or 1 kg if you want to sell them?

bill

13. astro_al Rocket Scientist

Winchester-ish
    Ok guys, let me see how much I have and get back to you. What is the going rate for these new? I won't want anything like that, but I have no reference for pricing.

I'll try to dish them out fairly...

Al

14. astro_al Rocket Scientist

Winchester-ish
    Right, I had a look.

I have 3 tubes with magnesium in:

1. Just hand written 'Mag' on the side of the tube, so I assume its pure, but don't know. Contains 27 more or less full lengths at 1/8" dia.

2. I have a tube labelled AZ91c. containing 12 off 6" to 10" stubs - good for experimenting I guess? - and 25 full lengths. these rods are more corroded than the others and look like they could use a rub over before use.

3. I have another tube labelled AZ91c. This is labelled 2kg and seems full. You'd struggle to squeeze any more rods in. Casting my eye over it I'd say about 150 lengths, but I could be out by 50, so... Better condition these ones.

I can't be bothered to split stuff unless everyone agrees they want a quarter of the last tube. I did pay for this lot, so I can't give it away. I can't see any prices (or even stockists) on google.

I'd better give Bill first dibs as its his thread.

Caveat emptor. I don't know anything about these, so you're taking the same gamble I did when I bought them (as part of a job lot). No refunds, no farting about, or I just keep the lot.

Cheers, Al.

15. hotrodder Member

SE England
    There'll be prices for the SIF magnesium #23 (az61) on rapidweldings site. I would have thought Magnesium-Elektron would be better priced than SIF, hopefully Bill will confirm if/when he hears back from them. Last time i bought some was probably 18 months ago, I paid around half, maybe a tad over half list price from a local supplier that delivers to my door. List price has gone up by at least £20 for a 12 pack in that time. In fact pretty much every time i buy mag wire it seems to have gone up way more than other flavours over the same time

16. billsmowers Member

cornwall uk
    got a reply from Magnesium-Elektron you will not beleve the price £800 for 2kg
    the cutomer who has the saws has decided not to have them repaired as he can not get insurance as i am not a coded welder in tig i only have bs4872 in mma so will not need the rods after all but thank you all for your help

bill

17. langy

langy langys rodshop

When I had my magnesium wheel repaired I paid £6 per rod, 8 were used

18. billsmowers Member

cornwall uk
    £800 was a real shock they would not sell less then 2kg of rods i think it is the rod mix that makes it so expensive it has to be a az91 rod to work with the chainsaw case may be the rods used on the mag wheels are more ready avalible
    i have been told the hts 2000 rod will work but this is only a braze not a true weld

bill

19. hotrodder Member

SE England
    £400/kg :o surprised they're that expensive! If you haven't got the right piece of paper to keep the owner/his insurance company happy i doubt they'd like the idea of hts2000. I don't understand why, if it has to be az91, that some unknown 'trade secret' monkey metal brazing wire sold by shills would be OK. The SIF magnesium #23 is az61... it's a magnesium, aluminium, zinc, manganese alloy like az91 (and az31, az101 etc). Differences between 'em are changes in the amount of Al and Zn the az61 will actually be easier/nicer to use in that the zinc content is lower and it'll be less prone to solidification cracking

20. billsmowers Member

cornwall uk
    i have been told it is to do with the die casting if you use thr wrong rod it will not hold up and will brake again this advice is from a coded asme 9 welder at the docks he has spent all is working life welding he said he would not take on the job so this put me off

you seam to have a lot more experiance in this then me would you be intrested in repairing them if the customer will send them up to you?

the case for the husky is over £350 so worth repairing

bill

Advertisements