m/bike lift

1. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    has anyone made their own?
    I've got a hydraulic bike lift but its cumbersome and heavy.
    it get used about once or twice a year.
    thinking of making a table similar to sealeys.
    one end is fixed the other end with slope down to enable to push the m/bike on.
    and then using a trolly jack to lift it and pull the leg down .
    the table will have 3 support one either end and one in the middle

• 10066330.jpg
  2. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Ive ummed and arghhed a few times about making my own, or buying one? I like the idea but they can get in the way a bit im thinking so have talked myself out of it a few times. Ive got a similar set up to your picture? Made out of an old wardrobe side and an angle iron frame.

I use one of them cheapo hydraulic lifts on top to raise and lower the bike? Ive got an overhead beam which I use with a pull lift to get the bikes on and off. Mine usually stay on there for months while I work on them so its not too much of a hassle. Pushing a heavy bike up and down that ramp might be an issue?

When its not got a bike on it, I stand it upright against the wall out of the way.

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. lchris21

lchris21 Member

8ob, Arc Tourist and Rannsachair like this.
  4. Cato

Cato Forum Supporter

I had the same thoughts with regard to a hydraulic bench, heavy, cumbersome to move etc. In the end I bought a mobile gantry and made a bench from timber left over on a job and cut down scaffold boards. The gantry doesn't get in the way, and it can be used for many things beyond lifting bikes on and of the bench so it's a much more useful tool. The bench cost nothing and can be stacked away, dismantled or used as a low level bench for other things.

The gantry winch can also be used as an additional safety measure if you have to apply a lot of pressure across the bike when undoing/heaving on something. Even when a bike is strapped to a bench the whole thing has a high centre of gravity and the lot can go over if you're not careful.

IMG_20200613_135036.jpg

5. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Depends on the bike, is it light enough to push up a 1:5 ramp? Easy enough to balance when up there, and you stood below it?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    weight of one bike an old t500 410 lbs.tracer 700 462 lbs.
    getting it up wont be a problem as I ask my son to give me a hand even with the hydraulic lift.
    with a L 21 ft x W 14-15 ft I'm fighting for space. nearly half the garage is my workshop.
    the lift is mainly for the old bike.
    the new one I just change oil and filter any thing else it goes into the bike shop.
    maybe I could cut the current lift down to size but leave the feet as it is.

Morrisman likes this.
  7. Turbo Member

A popular one is to convert a hospital bed into a bike lift, fully adjustable for height so when there's no bike on it you can use it as a work bench. ;)

8. RichardM Member

Made one a few years ago, trolley jack to lift and comes to bits to stow away upright along the side of the garage

IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3489.JPG IMG_3486.JPG

8ob and My Old Landy like this.
  9. Melvyn Best Member

Recessing a hydraulic or electric bike lift into the floor so that that top is level with the floor would give you more space when it’s not in use. Just wheel the bike onto it , raise the lift and away you go . We had a scissor lift where I used to work set up like that

Turbo, dobbslc and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    nice idea but once my bike has been restored its highly unlikely that I will use it .
    but nice to have just incase.
    the idea above is what I have in mind. something simple and not to heavy and easily stored up against the wall.

11. Melvyn Best Member

[​IMG]
    One of these for sale on locostbuilders for£60

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    had one but sold it soon after sticks out to far having two m/bikes doesn't give much room for one.

13. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

I don't do bikes but, this is a nice essex gent who I follow on You tube. wonder if this may float your boat @johnakay ?

It's a long one, so have a pint in hand :)

14. Ruffian Member

Looks like an almost rip off of the abba skylift.

15. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

You can get get a lift now for about 325 that stands up in the corner when not in use. Floor space is too valuable to loose to a bike lift

16. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    what make and where?

17. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

18. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

He does some amazing linuxcnc stuff, likely one of the very best

Milkybars likes this.
  19. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

The one I built has been pretty good, I would probably buy one for the time it took me to build

20. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

@mtt.tr agreed that lathe is awesome, when all "this" is over I hope to get too see it in the flesh.

mtt.tr likes this.
Advertisements