Lost Data

1. mechman Member

Hi all.
    A while back the hard drive on my lap top packed in, I had it repaired and was told I might loose some data which I did. I was quoted £260 to retrieve the data if possible (by a different company) I haven't bothered cos I thought the price was a trifle on the salty side Any comments or advice welcomed.
    Norm:(

2. Cyberprog Member

I normally whack them in a cold temp environment overnight and see if they will spin up again, then copy the data off PDQ.

Alan Reynolds likes this.
  3. Unless it's a catastrophic failure, most data can be recovered. The drive usually loses it's track 0 info or the FAT (file allocation table) It's got a spare FAT! know some people don't like Apple, but I used to do all pc disk recovery on my very old Mac. It can be a bit labour intensive when recovering data and it can take hours.It depends on how valuable the data is to you. Ireplaceable photos might be worth the money.

4. Gareth_16V Member

Software such as Piriform Recuva can be useful (and free) to try to restore some of these things. Had success with it even with formatted drives.

5. Oh yes! I've had them sat in the fridge on a long ribbon cable while I've streamed of the data. Works sometimes though.

6. maz0

maz0 Member

If you don't know what your doing, then £260 is cheap. Potentially you could make it worse attempting any DIY fixes you read on here or the internet. ;)

hotponyshoes likes this.
  7. hotponyshoes Member

Depends how the drive has failed but I have had a little bit of success by plugging it into a cheap external cable adaptor and trying to read it while holding it at various angles or upside down.
    Sometimes powering the laptop drives from a decent power supply seems to get them going again.
    Start with the most important files and copy/paste to another pc one (or a few) at a time.

Brad93 likes this.
  8. Brummie Member

9. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

£260 for recovery data is not expensive depending on what they are dong for the money if a local pc shop that thinks they are going to do what you are usng free data its expensive if ts a quality firm that does it all the time wth a lot of experance it cheap

if your not going to pay the £260 as the stuff is not that important to you have a go your self after all all if you muck it up you not lost any more than you had to start with

10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I was quoted £600 for a damaged 64GB SD disc last year

11. ukracer Member

When you say had it repaired you mean the laptop not the drive? The old drive have you tried connecting it in a caddy. You really have not given us enough information to see what actually stopped working.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Brummie Member

Can I ask, did they tell you how they repaired it ? I have read about repairs involving open the drive in a clean room and transferring the platters to a new drive and repairs where the green circuit board with the induction motor was replaced which does not involve opening the drive.
    Just interested to know what they did.

13. ukracer Member

I would hazard a guess the OP means they repaired the laptop which did not boot by fitting a new hard drive. This leaving him with a hard drive extra that might or might not be dead. or it could be working to a degree. SO depending who repaired it depends if they knew what they were doing. I have seen more than one person get quoted for a new drive when it was just corrupted software....

Brummie likes this.
  14. premmington

premmington Member

This raises the question about - backing data up - do you?

What format & media do you use - for backed up data?

Do you trust cloud data providers?

:doh:

brightspark likes this.
  15. gaz1

gaz1 Member

been there done that is the siftware worth paying to be done

no for any true recovery its within an air tight room and hard drive rebuilt

ive got the paud for and free recovery programd there all roughly the same ive frozen hard drives and spent all day trying to get files and yes ive lost many a file

it just depends on what has failed

16. mechman Member

They replaced the hard drive and also gave me the original one back. The original one was making a clicking noise before it surrendered.

17. maz0

maz0 Member

Honestly unless it holds data that is extremely valuable to you, I would consider it a lost cause. Clicking typically indicates a hardware failure, the read/wright head stuck to the platter surface, or the aperture arm repeatedly firing back and forward because the eeprom is knackered. If they can recover it for £260 (which id be impressed with) then its a bargain.

18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Test disk works but takes hours. Plus many hours sorting all the recovered files.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Time spent on and value for data recovery depends on the user - if the files are of no particular value e.g. sentimental, then it's doubtful if it's worth the quoted cost(s). :dontknow:

Brad93 likes this.
Advertisements