Lorch torches on other machines

1. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I’m getting ran around in circles here trying to get some torches for our welders here at work. In particular, I’m trying to get a nice wp20 sized torch to fit our Lincoln Aspect 300. Switched and sheathed with QR connectors, with a nice ergo style handle and a short neck.

Shouldn’t be difficult, but it certainly seems to be! Had a delivery of two Binzel abitig torches today, neither what I actually specified on the purchase order regarding connections.

What I was wondering, is if a Lorch a-LTW-3000 double button torch could work on another machine? Basically the exact same torch body/handle as I am using on my handytig, to be used on the Lincoln.
    The welder put a few hours on my handytig a few weeks back and his words were "I want that torch, on my machine!"

The secondary button doesn’t need to function, just need a single button.

The wiring plug (tuchel 5 pin), gas and water QR connectors are all same as Lincoln.

Is it possible? If it is, I take it i just need pins 1 and 2 to the button, and that's it?

2. Munkul

Also here's a rant:

why do manufacturers MAKE these STUPID long flexi necked torch bodies??? Who on earth wants to TIG weld with their hands 6" away from the business end? Absolutely useless, unless you can walk the cup on everything.
    And we're talking 17 and 26 size bodies, so its not exactly tons of amps going through.

Having said that, I'm gonna stop buying flexi necks at all. It's all shop welding, no-one needs a flexi. Learn to live with a fixed angle.

Brad93 likes this.
  3. Gazello Member

It pretty tough Technology,:sheep: but Pin 1 to 2 Button 1 and pin 2to 3 Button2 and Bridge pin 4to 5 makes lorch madchine happy

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The Lorch torches are really nice to use. I like the flex neck on the WP20. It’s pretty short.

cant see any reason why it wouldn’t work

5. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

We can get a custom Parweld torch to directly fit onto your machine. They do the PRO GRIP MAX torches which get good reviews if you like a Euro style handle.
    Drop me a picture of your machines connections and I'll sort you a price if you want?

6. Munkul

Thanks Tom, but it's easier for our purchasing dept if we deal with the 3 or 4 existing welding suppliers on the system. We've had a few parweld pro grip torches too, but they usually come with great big long soft necks which instantly need swapped out for something more usable.

I know Parweld WILL make what I need, same with Binzel, but it just seems every time, the supplier messes up.

e.g. my last order:
    ABICOR BINZEL ABI-GRIP 17
    SWITCHED AND SHEATHED
    3/8"BSP THREADED GAS/POWER CONNECTION AS STANDARD
    NO PLUG PROVIDED

Comes in last week with overmoulded dinse power plug, 10mm threaded gas connection (i think), and a lincoln wired tuchel plug. So this torch won't fit any of our machines, not least the Kemppi which it was destined for.

I've ordered a lincoln branded wp20 WTT2 torch but hasn't came yet... FOR the Aspect, on the same order. Lets see what it's like when it get here :rolleyes: the older red and black Linc Premium torches were great, but apparently discontinued.

I should have remembered about this on saturday, i would have multimetered my own torch pins to see if the switch connection is made. Maybe tonight.

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  7. Munkul

FYI... the new WTT2 range is poor... very cheaply built. Not even slightly in the same quality range as the old red and black linc premium range. Our welder loves it, since he's going from an 18 torch to a 20 torch, but I was very disappointed. No leather flex section, and a very plasticky handle. The power/water return cable is superflex, but the gas and water feed lines are plain nylon. Horrible.

The Parweld pro grip torches are miles ahead in quality of the WTT2 I'd say. Just a shame they are purple :D
    On the other hand, I do really like the Binzel Abitig grip torches, they are nicely built :)

I didn't get anywhere on trying the Lorch torch buttons, I've kinda lost interest now that our welder is happy again.

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The Lorch torches are well built. I don’t know if you’ve had one apart but I had to change a WP20 over to a flex neck and they’re really nicely put together inside.

9. Munkul

I haven't had the Lorch torch apart other than to change the control pad to the powermaster.

They're well built, all right :) I wouldn't want anything else for myself, honestly. There's not a single bad thing I can say about them.

I'm already much too used to the powermaster control to be able to swap it for anything else anyway, I'd hate to go back!

Advertisements