Linde VI 600

1. Mick Watson New Member

Ok guys over the next few days / weeks I'm going to be picking brains on how I set the beast up for spray transfer . I will be fillet welding 15mm to 15mm and 20mm to 20mm mild steel . I know I need 95% argon . It will be the amps volts and wire speed I will need help with.

• 20201007_121416.jpg
  2. Robert Mullins Member

You'll be wanting 15/20,% c,O2, argoshield heavy or equivalent, , spray transfer occurs with 27+ volts, use 1.2wire to carry the amperages
    I have absolutely no idea as to what the amperage involved would be as it's controlled/set by the wire speed;
    To set the wire speed, to balance the amps to the volts,
    Set the voltage to 27+ volts
    Turn the wire speed to maximum, using a head screen, weld with one hand on some scrap, with your free hand adjust the wire speed as your welding, the speed is correct when the wire exits the the contact tip, but the wire is 'pinched off' by the magnetic field (?) Before it dips into the weld pool: the weld metal transfer occuring as fine droplets, smaller than the welding wire, across the arc:
    You can also use a contact tip with a size larger hole, to try and allow for excess expansion, as per aluminium mig,
    If your able to, position your contact tip recessed into the gas shroud, whether the gas helps cool the tip, or the tip is farther from the weld pool, I don't know, but it helps:
    Lastly, if you've lots to do, maybe select a metal cored wire such as 'CORAMIG' and run it with a positive earth, it's brilliant, very, very fast, very hot

metalmelt likes this.
  3. As above, go for 20%CO2 in Argon

4. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

20% CO2 as said above
    280-300 amps 1.2 wire
    Voltage - around 30-32 (whatever gives a nice bead)

3 passes better than one big one.

That's extrapolating from qualified multipass procedures between 10mm and 20mm fillets.

5. Robert Mullins Member

Will the fillet welds be positioned on one, or both sides of the joint? If a multi-run is to be layed, one should run a cutting disc along the toes between passes to remove silicon and debris that could prevent fusion;
    If a multi-run is required both sides, then the first(root) pass should be fully welded before completing the whole weld:

6. Mick Watson New Member

I will be welding both sides . Are we sure its argon 20 and not argon 5?

7. Robert Mullins Member

If you've already got argon 5%co2, you can still use it, but it will not be as deeply penetrating:
    I'm a welder, and not a welding engineer, so there are many who are infinitely more educated and qualified to explain exactly, however, as I understand, the introduction of co2 stabilises the negative pole, increases the fluidity/wetting out of the weld pool;
    The 20% co2 mixtures arc is noticeably more fierce and penetrating; I believe that the increase of co2 raises the arc voltage, but I'm not 100% sure

Advertisements