Lincoln Bester 190C - Price Fixing

1. Richiew Forum Supporter

I spent 950 quid on an ACDC Stealth last November. Plus all the the gas and tig wire on top, not to mention all the practice material. The price I paid was quite an incentive to get my money's worth out of it and learn a new skill. I have made the effort with it due to the price I paid. If I had spent less I might have been more inclined to leave it in a corner of the garage. I know it's not a reason for paying over the odds or whatever but I genuinely don't regret the purchase. Peace of mind has a tangible value as well.

2. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I bought a scope,tikka rifle, and mod all brand new, guy wouldnt even give me a second hand strap free. Ive not been back since, now shop a little bit further away, where I get looked after.

I bought a quality acdc tig machine 10 years ago ish it was 1850 I think, would f my memory serves me correctly. Still works a treat, I was looked after by the supplier too.

Im currently furnishing two holiday lets, everything has been bought on line, two trips to eyeball stuff. Currys is a prime example go look, they look on line, so I may as well.

3. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

Exactly so if esab was local and gave you 5% profit and lincoln wasn't but gave you 50% profit and the same service, would you stay with esab and let your business go under or get in lincoln to sell
    The seller makes the rules to suit themselves and could be scamming customers therefore the customer needs protection. There still isn't enough protection for customers.
    If I purchase a second hand engine and fit it to a car and the engine is faulty, the engine has to come out and I get my money back but who pays for the fitting and removal of the engine that wasn't fit for purpose. No not the business who sold it even though it wasn't fit for purpose.
    Customer is still not protected enough.
    Why does the business selling the engine need protected. They can do as they please and make up their own rules. I'm at their mercy. The last engine I bought the heater plugs were seized solid in it and rung off.
    What does the seller say, tough **** you rung them off, so again not fit for purpose. Who pays to get the head removed and heater plugs drilled, again me.
    When I price around for equipment to the mainland its not pennies I'm saving, its 2 to 3 hundred pounds.
    The last strimmer I bought the home owner version was the same price in Northern Ireland as the commercial one from the mainland. Which one would you buy?

4. northwest

northwest Member

This ^^^^^^

A prime example as to how to not look after a customer.

With respect, this is not a scenario that could happen. Your above comment are all about experiences with second hand stuff, a whole different world of pain.

Well, off I go, see what today's experiences are going to be :-)

James1979 likes this.
  5. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

Its all exactly the same with new stuff.
    2 quick examples. I fit a new coil spring to car, it breaks in 9 months, I take it back and they say OK heres another. Who fits the second one due to the first one not being fit for purpose.
    2 new rear calipers, go on holidays with caravan. Handbrake disappears on holidays, long story short, a faulty caliper. Again I get a replacement part but who pays for all that due to a part not being fit for purpose.
    And it is a scenario that can happen with suppliers. I can buy milwaukee cheaper online than the shops can get it in for in Northern Ireland so then they sell different brands with more profit.
    Take a look at car warranty. For example Renault. Lagunas were notorious for strut bearings failing. So sent customer back to Renault before warranty runs out. Spoke to him next service "well did they sort it under warranty " no they said it was not a known fault and the reason his went was because he had bent both struts and charged him over £500. All lies.
    I can give you examples all day long new or second. That's why customers need protected.
    And local customer service is not always better. Take back a broken tool local to see how hard they can make it.
    I took back teng ratchet that I bought with lifetime guarantee. Shop says its the life of the tool not your life, that type of ratchet has changed therefore no warranty.
    I contacted teng headquarters in some other country and they sorted me with a brand new ratchet and said the shop was wrong.
    The last tool I bought from toolstation that broke, they sent me another one next day delivery, didn't even ask to see the old.
    So its time the local boys got their act together. I'll not post on here how it went when I asked my local supplier about a welder, only for gys sorting it for me it would have been bought online too.

DavidL, James1979 and pawsnizzy like this.
  6. stichill99 Member

Scotland,Borders
    I am all for suppliers having a fair margin but we all hate getting ripped off for the same part. We have a Claas Avero combine and last year I went to the Claas dealer for engine oil filter to which I got charged nearly £80 when the bill came in(queried it). As the combine has a cat engine and the local John Deere dealer sells Cat forklifts I went with the filter no. and low and behold when I asked the price it was £15 and he gave me a discount off the £15! Exact same filter!

arther dailey, Munkul and Richiew like this.
  7. matt1978

matt1978 www.lorch.eu

My point on this thread was more about a concerted race to the bottom as everyone is trying to undercut each other online by pennies so they show up as being the “cheapest”. Ultimately we will all lose (Manufacturers, Resellers and Customers) because quality will only go one way and choice will become more limited.

Leslie made some valid points about poor customer service and obviously has experienced this. But I can well imagine anything related to the poor service received was probably already written down somewhere in the fine print. For example who is responsible for what in the event of a manufacturers defect.

Some things are definitely commodities and warrant extensive time and effort to finding the cheapest price. I definitely apply the same logic with travel. I rarely ever book via a travel agent because ultimately they don’t add anything that is “valuable“ to me. I am more than happy to spend time, to price up flights and research hotels myself and generally save a fair bit. But I also appreciate their are travellers who don’t want any hassle and are willing to pay a premium for someone to do the leg work for them and have everything from one supplier. But just think now, how limited the choice is for those sort of people with the amount of Airlines and Travel companies that were around 10-15 years ago but simply don’t exist nowadays.

northwest likes this.
  8. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

A lot of it is down to incentivising Buyers to save money.......they dont look at value, just the price....they dont know enough about the product........a 300 amp MIG is a 300 amp MIG.....a spool of A18 wire is a spool of A18 wire.....I sometimes used to say to them.......a bottle or red wine is a bottle of red wine (they undertand that one).....and some red wine will give you a headache.

Munkul and matt1978 like this.
  9. Robbie260 Member

Its difficult isnt it, i recently bought a lorch micor tig and battery from wasp supplies in luton and i live in higland. Why did i get it from them? My local favourite welding supplier doesn't stock lorch, and the others have left me less than impressed and they dont stock it either.Customer service from wasp was excellent. I did also buy the sherman too. Why because lorch didnt offer at the time a battery tig welder that was ac dc capable, and i suspect that tech is a few years off yet. But having just spent the best part of £3000 on the lorch i couldnt justify £1000 plus again on a ac dc machine that i only will need very occasionally. Now i suspect in the future i will probably if the sheman gose bang just bite the bullet and buy the lorch equivalent but it was filling the gap in an affordable manner that was important for the first wee while.

While in lots cases its a race to the bottom the bottom end of the market exists because there is also a gap to be filled. I mean there are lots of us that need a place to start, but cant afford anything more than a cheap Chinese machine for our hobby. That hobby may turn into a want to go into buissness or just take our hobby to the next level and we then buy the pro grade machines. So @matt1978 will probably be able to shed more light on this than my best educated guess but at a pinch id say in some ways the cheap Chinese end of the market may just have benifited the big players in the long run by introducing more people to the hobby creating more potential customers for them innthe future.

Though as everyone says the margins on the low end of the market are slim and the poor guy selling it is probably at his wits end just trying to make enough money to keep the lights on.

DavidL likes this.
  10. johnyev Member

I think the problem is the dynamics of life have changed so fast in recent years, like other comments above, I rarely want to go into town, park etc. if I can get it delivered to my door possibly cheaper (mainly due to the likes of Amazon dodging VAT) however, I do make the effort if I value the extra service my local retailer can provide and I want them to stay in business. I am willing and do pay a premium for this. However 500 quid online and 750 in store is a lot to swallow and I think most wouldn't. Mind if we're talking welders here, for me personally its a hobby so different if you're buying weekly consumables as a tradesman.
    Retail is undoubtedly a hard place to be right now and I agree if you want a local supplier to be there next year, you need to spend some spondoolies with them!

Advertisements