LED V Fluorescent tubes

1. fizzy Member

uk
    I bought an LED batten out in Portugal and ended up bringing it back to me. Very impressed with the quality of light and how easy it is to install.
    BUT
    I have been looking into getting about 10 of these to light a dark corner of my warehouse. When I looked into it they are no more efficient than a good old fashioned tube. The wattage is almost identical for the lumens generated.

The battens are also more expensive - £30 or so each v £15 or so for the fluorescent tube and unit.

Now IF the new LED battens last the claimed 20 to 30,000 hours then they are a bargain. But I say IF. My experience of several new LED lights shows they dont last anywhere near as long as claimed.

I really was most surprised they aren't any more energy efficient than the fluorescent tube which was invented in 1920s!

Can anyone recommend a good cheap 5 or 6ft batten linkable? Around 60w or so.

2. tigdlo Member

I have 4 40w 4000k V-Tac led battens lighting an area 3m x 4m with a 2.2m ceiling height, these replaced 4 x 5ft T8 58w 4000k flourescents and are considerably brighter even compared with new tubes.

I will have 14 of these in total when I've replaced all the T8's. 812w for T8's, 560w for LED, a 252w saving isn't spectacular but I will have much improved lighting.

The wiring isn't as simple and neet as flourescents as they come with a lead about 200mm long, you could use these in the links below to make kind of a linked system,

https://www.toolstation.com/wago-224-3-way-lighting-connectors/p87820
    https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-light-junction-box/p85587

fizzy likes this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@fizzy How high is the corner? Have a look at low bay lighting units, they may fit the bill for your needs?

tom2207 likes this.
  4. johnny max Member

IRELAND
    I took out all the tubes in lights and replaced with led tubes.5’ and 10w.
    Great light out of them. Worked out at €80 for box of 10. Got a separate one for lathe 4’ long. Good white light too.

5. zx9

zx9 Member

Traditional florescent tubes use a more energy when they start up but are very economical when running so best turned on in the morning and left on all day which is the normal pattern of use in factories, offices etc. LEDs win where the lights are often turned on and off again, home kitchen, shed, garage etc. and obviously they have the claimed long life so in theory less service requirements.
    Personally I like that the LEDs come on instantly though the florescent with a HF ballast in the greenhouse is just as quick to start, that was installed before LED batons were readily available at a low cost.

fizzy and johnny max like this.
  6. fizzy Member

uk
    The problem is the roof is 30 feet high and there is a partition wall with just a set of double doors so no way to get a lift or forklift in. The area is 1200sq feet. It is so dark in there and it is where I am setting up my machines. I want to put 12 tubes around the walls about 8 feet off the ground facing down at a 45 degrees angle but I bet there will still be loads of shadows.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. fizzy Member

uk
    A 10W tube is nowhere near as bright as a normal flouro tube. You need 60W to match a 65w tube.

johnny max likes this.
  8. fizzy Member

uk
    Funnily enough I bought a load of those connectors yesterday from TLC for another project - great minds think alike :thumbup:

9. monky harris Member

a florescent in the greenhouse....

.theres posh ...:thumbup:

zx9 and fizzy like this.
  10. zx9

zx9 Member

Yes, in a IP65 enclosure, made lighting the propane burner easier on dark winter evenings.

fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

I can't remember it but there is a lumen conversion for flouri to LED. A tube is the same wattage but is inefficient in the way is distributes light (360 round the tube) an LED directs the light only down and out and doesn't waste the light by emitting it upwards like a flouri. Even with the reflectors behind the tubes the efficiency is only partly restored.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Have tubes round the WS at about *ft as well as 200watt Hi Bay 2 in each bay
    Top is 200 + wall tubes
    Lower roof 10Ft twin tubes walls & celings DSCF0021.JPG DSCF0021_zpsje4rujxh.JPG

8ob and fizzy like this.
  13. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

There is also the issue of the sensitivity of the human eye:

The sensitivity of the human eye to light of a certain intensity varies strongly over wavelengths between 380 nm and 800 nm. Under daylight conditions, the average normal sighted human eye is most sensitive at a wavelength of 555 nm, resulting in the fact that green light at this wavelength produces the impression of highest “brightness” when compared to light at other wavelengths.

The white light of LEDs is made up of three precise separate frequencies of

Red LED - 633nm
    Blue LED - 490nm
    Green LED - 560nm

So it is easier to tune a white LEd to match the sensitivity of the eye without 'wasting' energy by emitting light at frequencies the eye isn't sensitive to.

8ob, fizzy, johnny max and 1 other person like this.
  14. johnny max Member

IRELAND
    I find the lighting much better in shop since I changed to led tubes. ‍♂️‍♂️

daleyd and fizzy like this.
  15. minimutly Member

Interesting. A while ago I bought a bunch of 5 ft led tubes which are a direct ish swap into fluo fittings. Last sunday I powered some up, and have to say I was dissapointed - the light was not very "bright", and a bit pinkish?

fizzy likes this.
  16. fizzy Member

uk
    But there are quite a few different colour outputs for LEDs. Some better than others.

17. Tigman

Tigman Member

Ive changed all my flourescents to 30w leds its brighter but still need more light , whats the biggest wattage money can buy ? Quite expensive too , but they do come straight on , no starters they got swapped out for something else ? I was told but in one and out the other !

18. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I may have gone over the top with these in the man cave, it’s seriously well lit. Slightly concerned to read that the led is not as energy efficient as claimed:vsad:

6750A768-4A2A-4ADE-951F-A29C2C29E1F9.jpeg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    They are, it's just nobody appreciates how efficient fluorescent tubes have been for decades.

julianthegypsy, daleyd and zx9 like this.
  20. brightspark

brightspark Member

you could have got shot of 1 light on each row and still had good lighting

8ob likes this.
Advertisements