Led battens issues

1. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Bought 4 led battens for the new bit of the workshop, wired em in tonight and got this...

Assuming this is faulty units? I've double checked my wiring and seems fine. :dontknow:

I'm not really into clubbing so this is quite anti climatic for me.

2. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

I would say so

3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Faulty units I reckon....it happened to me with some existing fittings but that was because the voltage transformer wasn't designed for led bulbs (I swapped the bulbs to led)....my front room was like a disco.

4. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    Not connected to or linked to any IR detector? Are these LED specific lighting units or regular fluorescent enclosures with the starter fitted?

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

don't buy crap cheap fittings then :)buy a reputable make or take the chance if u don't

mike os likes this.
  6. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

No IR detection, led specific units.

Is £35 each super cheap? I was trying to avoid properly cheap crap. I wouldn't know good brands of battens if they bit me on the nose. Bought them based on reviews from a lighting supplier, not eBay!

2yr warranty so not an issue really.

Morrisman likes this.
  7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    @grim_d your timing is perfect.

I just replaced 3 6' twin tube units in my workshop with some IP65 Led battens. I shopped around and was going order some online but a local electrical wholesaler had some sensible priced units.

They are Ansell Tornado Pro, the 6' twin units work out at £42, they are 8200lm and have 5 year warranty. OMG it's like daylight in there and instant light. I've been out every night this week just to convince myself I hadn't imagined it. Even during the day they make a difference and I have some clear roof panels.

I've just bought 2 more today based on how good the others are.

8. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Just ordered 4 @ £43.63 each. :thumbup::thumbup:

9. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

2 new ones faulty at the same time? :dontknow:

Are thye Screwfix items by any chance? I have half a dozen here and they are super bright. Off to get some more for the front garage soon.

10. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Just had a thought ( I know :- steady on Dave at your age thinking is dangerous ) When you take the lights off , wire them individually and check all the connections that you can get at then switch it on .. you may find the " fault " has cleared.

11. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

They aren't. But looking at the eBay offerings it's clear these are the same :mad:

I've triple checked all connections.

One of them has healed itself though before I touched anything.. :dontknow:

12. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Sounds to be along the lines I'd thought about .................... most likely a bad soldered joint or high resistnce wiped joint in a connector block ...... makes a reticulated high resistance joint and often acts like a diode.

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

I only buy decent branded fittings and don't pay a lot for them .I cant afford to supply fittings that go dodgy as it costs me dearly going back to customers houses and replace them for nothing and loose 30 quid an hour plus fuel :vsad:

gordon stephenson and DAPPH like this.
  14. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    On the Ansell units they have quick connects and the LED driver/panel is on a connector to so I just connected one unit to caole with a 3 pin plug to test it and was able to then just plug all the other panels in a test them before fitted them.

@grim_d one thing you will need for the Ansell units is drill bit big enough to drill the hole for the gland. It can be either end or on the side and there is a dimple to mark the spot. I used a step drill on the second hghest step which I think it 18mm. Thought I'd mention as it will be sods law that you are all excited and don't a bit the right size.

15. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I've had this before it was down to other things in the circuit affecting them cant remember what the conclusion was it was about 6 years ago

16. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

All Greek to me but do you mean in the unit itself?

I will disconnect and try it on its own just out of curiosity anyway.

Noted, Ive got hole saws in the common sizes. If it's a standard gland size I think it's 20mm? Got both anyway.

They are on their own MCB, nothing else on the circuit. Unless they interfere with themselves...which isn't unheard of for junk.
    I try to but clearly I made a booboo here.

Anyway, new units en-route.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  17. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    @grim_d have your new units arrived yet?

18. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

They sure have but I've got a massive resin table on the bench at the minute so they will need to wait until next week to be installed.

They seem excellent quality.

Advertisements