Lechler on rubber spoiler?

1. Cbr624 Member

Hi, I'm prepping the bodywork of my car ready for lechler epoxy, I have a 2nd hand rubber type spoiler that I've fitted which is white and looks to be the finished colour. Can I use lechler on it ie is it flexible enough, and then what paint should I use for final colour which would be satin black (non 2k preferably), again that would be flexible.
    Thsnks

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    soft enough you can press your fingers into it ?

any markings on the rear ...might be some letters stating what its made off , old 1980s style rubber stuff need a special plasticizer in the paint to keep it from cracking

Cbr624, the snooper and Dcal like this.
  3. zx9

zx9 Member

^^^^^^^^^ Probably not, I would think the Epoxy is too rigid ^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^ as above ^^^^
    It will probably be marked somewhere, if not and it is an original manufactures part ask on owners' group forums or on face book. Even then materials change during model life cycles and dependant on exact version. My Audi B3 coupé had a black 'rubber' boot spoiler, the quattro of the same age had a hard plastic one.

Cbr624 likes this.
  4. minimutly Member

It needs special primer and paint additive to stop it cracking - someone of a certain age who sprayed cars in the 80's will know.

Cbr624 likes this.
  5. Cbr624 Member

Thanks guys, yes the spoiler is soft and can press your fingers into it.
    It's off an mg montego so mid to late 80's / early 90's, I'll remove it to see if there are any markings.

6. Cbr624 Member

OK I've removed the spoiler & checked over it, the only thing it has is an Austin rover badge imprint and what looks like a part number with letters before & after DFD & PCE - I guess these aren't what material it is?
    I'll try on an owners forum as well
    Thanks

Advertisements