learning my friend how to TIG weld (AC)

1. w124 Member

the red lines along the welds are my attempts.
    the problem is, when i want to show him something he gests discouraged quickly.
    thats just 5 hours, 10-15 mins a day and on staturday we brought some beer to take it on easy and it was somewhere near 1,5h of welding, there was time to explain the difference between tight to long arc and welding on cold or hot material.
    IMG_20180924_193508.jpg
    IMG_20180924_193732.jpg IMG_20180921_202525.jpg
    on the last pic i see 6 rippless that are somewhere near top class quality, height and width.

IMG_20180927_152912(1).jpg
    *thats my attempt* is that a perfect weld? i would say no. I could done it better, and someone else would make it even better.
    he is struggling with closed corners, does well laying beads on flat material.
    what type of joint would You guys suggest? i was wondering about lap joints.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I can't comment on your pics as I'm in the same boat as your friend. I've only been able to attempt TIG a couple of times and didn't do very well at it due to health issues and eye problems.

Now I'm getting my cataracts removed [one done already] and I'm slowly getting through my projects to finish/make list, maybe I'll get more 'acceptable' results. :ashamed: Oh, and Winter's coming so no grass to cut, outside welding to do [can't do major welds inside a wooden shed :vsad:] etc........:thumbup:

I'm sure someone like @Richard. will pick up your thread and be able to comment/help with advice.

fizzy likes this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Space your filler intervals a little closer together then it’s going to be pretty much spot on.

4. w124 Member

most of the time, it depends how the job is prepared, and it was a great fit up as i did it myself (last pic previous post) but it was anyways grinded off to smooth surface, one of my best attempts at 2mm closed corner 1st (flat position). and what i had to do today at work 2nd and
    3rd pic. vertical uphill position on my knees.... really no words on that :doh: but turned out decent for what it was i think
    Richard, isnt that kind of stuff the best thing to practice on?
    w1.jpg

anyways. what should i prepare for my friend?

5. w124 Member

i'll be at the same boat as you at your age.:drunk:probably. but im doing alot of stuff on CNC and it would be a healthier route, im still thinking. but things like that done 100% correctly to the drawings angles and dimensions are as much rewarding as a great weld!
    we will see, im still quite young :D
    bendsample.jpg

6. awemawson Forum Supporter

I'm confused, are you learning from your friend, or are you teaching your friend. Your title makes no sense :dontknow:

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

Seadog and Wendelspanswick like this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

Ahhhhh, the optimism of youth :thumbup: :laughing:

8. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I don’t really know what you mean by that. What should you prepare for?? I haven’t a clue. Just practice the techniques and get better and better.

9. slim_boy_fat

By way of test pieces, vertical up/down etc? :dontknow: [Just a stab in the dark :ashamed:, we must assume that English may not be @w124's native language].

Advertisements