Lathe head stock oil

1. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

@Spark plug I'd chat to Smith and Allen down (as @Agroshield else has suggested) the road in Darlo. I have found them most helpful in the past.
    Also worth considering is using something quite thin to wash it out before putting in the new

phm87 likes this.
  2. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

@Brad93 it depends on how much you use it and where it's kept
    My lathe gets used on average twice a week and isn't kept in a warm location. The manufacturer would have been considering daily use/production
    So I always give it a moment or 2 in slow speeds before moving up the range

doubleboost and Hopefuldave like this.
  3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Ive used Smith and Allen quite a lot mainly for oil for the tractor, I will give them a ring tomorrow see what they say.

I wanted to gather other peoples thoughts before I did.

4. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Flushing it with a thin oil would probably be beneficial but there’s 8 gallon in the damn thing!

Milkybars likes this.
  5. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    A modern dsg isn’t a splash feed Harrison.
    Oil return to sump will be slow , sprinkler tray holes will be to small . Multi plate clutches will struggle to displace it
    Pump may struggle to pull it up.
    I know for a fact thick oil will mess up a COLCHESTER mastiff pump.
    Old dsg use iso45 equivalents.

I was making these oil selection mistakes and learnt my lesson, I’m not speculating.
    A little while ago I put slideway oil in my big dsg saddle hoping to take out some slash.
    It hydraulic locked all the feed plunger and selectors

fizzy, eLuSiVeMiTe and Milkybars like this.
  6. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Progress has been made, I called Smith and Allen yesterday, they cross referenced the Shell Vitria 27 with an oil they produce, LP 32 general purpose lube oil and low and behold promptly this morning look what turned up on a nice Smith and Allen liveried van:

52CE89D9-DDB1-43BA-A1EE-6EE74400D5A7.jpeg

Now enjoying a nice cup of tea while the oil drains, oil doesn’t look too bad in the headstock, but the sump will be the interesting one.

ADAECD1C-8E40-4E58-9F6A-2D2BE3363BEE.jpeg

pressbrake1, Milkybars and scottmk1 like this.
  7. ukracer Forum Supporter

How much did that cost and what oil should I be using in my Colchester Master 2500?

8. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

That pic of your lathe is interesting! Is that a piece of small bore breather tube sticking out of the top of your level site glass?
    My 1307 came with a machine screw jammed in the top and I couldn't for the life of me work out how the site glass could possibly work.in fact it didn't, hence I over filled the oil which over time proceeded to leek from badly fitted screw.

9. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

The oil was about £50 / 20l, not sure what should go in your master, but I think I’ve got a triumph manual someware that I could check.

Yes it’s just a thin copper tube so the sight glass can breathe and display correctly, it sticks up about 8” above the glass.

bletchmonster likes this.
  10. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Yes it’s just a thin copper tube so the sight glass can breathe and display correctly, it sticks up about 8” above the glass.[/QUOTE]

Cheers. Half the battle of second hand machines is working out what has been previously got at and how to correct it.

Spark plug likes this.
  11. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

@ukracer, here is a pic of the relevant page from my Triumph 2000 manual, Which you would imagine would be the same spec as the Master.

EC693ACE-C977-49D9-AFB8-0AFA7E60938F.jpeg

12. ukracer Forum Supporter

Cheers mate . someone here sent me the PDF for the master 2500 as I had lost mine..I think its on the only PC not actually running in the front room. lol

But yes it looks like its good.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shell-Te...-Oil-5L-ISO-32-Colchester-Lathe-/111702322776

I have some new belts on the way so I intend to spend a day finishing the wiring and replacing the oil and belts. :)
    3 and a half gallons seems rather expensive..but I guess thats the price you pay for having a big one. :)

13. ukracer Forum Supporter

what do you guys use to clean your lathes up??

14. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

They listed an equivalent for the DSG, I just didn’t trust an unknown eBay seller who has equivalents to loads of discontinued oils. May just be me being sceptical but I had more faith in Smith and Allen, also I needed 7gallon.

Duck oil is my weapon of choice for getting old oil and grease off.

15. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Colchester vane oil pumps must not be subjected to to thick a oil

ukracer likes this.
  16. ukracer Forum Supporter

How much was the 10 gallons?

17. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

40l of LP32 gear oil and 5l of slideway 68 was £110

Advertisements