Landrover question

1. Hi,
    I know there are a few Landrover owners on here so here goes.
    At the weekend I went out in my RangeRover just a short journey after she had been sorned for a couple of months.
    Anyhow i lost drive and hears a lot of grating.
    First thought were transfer box but on looking one of the rear half shafts had "walked" out knocking the little rubber dust cover off hence losing drive.
    Its got HD strangthened shafts but standard drive flanges as its cheaper to replace them than to replace a propshaft.
    Has anyone had this problem in the past or have a idea of why it would do this?
    Thanks
    Ian

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Year? Model?

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I thought the drive flange was part of the shaft?

4. Its a 1974 classic.
    Yeah the early ones are but i have strengthened shafts in with separate drive flanges like a defender.
    10 spline differentials.

5. MoreWellie Member

there are both, I think the later ones had an integral flange on the end and possibly older ones with a separate flange and a splined both ends of the shaft shaft

it sounds like the spline stripped out of the flange leaving a round hole allowing the shaft to poke through until it came out of the diff. I haven't seen this happen before though so it is just theory

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I had a '73 RR with one piece shafts/flanges but as I had never stripped my Defender axles didn't realise they were separate.

7. Thanks,
    I was wondering if it may have damaged the drive flange as it has a 5.7ltr corvette motor in her.
    I think its time for different drive flanges.

8. reedx

reedx Member

9. rory1

rory1 Member

The half shafts with the separate drive flanges do strip the splines. It's quite a common problem. Standard flanges are cheap to replace.

Early defenders were bad for it.

TAITSIE likes this.
  10. The Devils Reject

The Devils Reject is probably talking rubbish.

Stick with the standard drive flanges - they are easier to replace than a busted half shaft. With the grunt you have from that Corvette block it will always find the weakest point of the drivetrain. You can always keep a spare flange in your motor for the days when it goes 'crunch'

11. reedx

reedx Member

If something is described as "heavy duty" does that not imply that they are stronger? They look very similar to the Ashcoft ones.

Colin

12. Probably but a lot cheaper

13. super noob

super noob Member

Cumbria
    Those are the HD ones you've ordered......not standard replacement. You've essentially removed the weak link

14. Oh well.
    I am only fitting 2 at the rear so will still have 2 britpart ones on the front.
    So still weak links.

15. rory1

rory1 Member

With the centre diff lock engaged you transmit equal power to both front and rear axles so your front flanges won't be the weak point of the whole drive train- just the front axle.

If you have standard two pin diffs then they will be the weak point, along with the floppy rover crown wheel setup.

16. super noob

super noob Member

Cumbria
    stripped crown and pinion come to mind.....and on the front either a snapped stub shaft or halfshaft

17. The front end has strengthened shafts also and cv's.
    Arb locking diffs front and rear, but not pegged.
    Its just my toy so not really wanting to make it bullet proof.

18. super noob

super noob Member

Cumbria
    arb diffs aren't that strong

19. Yeah, but as i say its just a toy.
    There are much stronger set ups out there but I just can't warrant spending that amount on money on it.
    Plus maybe in the next few years the body will be completely rotten by then.
    So then I will be weighing up what to do with the engine next.
    Maybe a TVR with no engine and box or maybe a kit car of some sort.
    Not sure yet.

Advertisements