Land Rover Freelander 2 drivers window (help!)

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I would like to know the dimensions of the window glass for a project. 2007 Freelander 2.

[​IMG]

These dimensions please to the frame of the aperture assuming no one has an odd window they can measure the actual outside glass dimensions.

Some idea of the overlap/amount of glass insert would be awesome and in a perfect world, some indication of the curvature.

It's for a movie prop - sugar glass thing.

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    OK 57 views and no replies. I guess no one has a Freelander 2.

Does anyone know anybody with a Freelander 2? A photo with a ruler in it will do...

Looks like I'm going to have to hang around a car park trying not to look suspicious while acting suspiciously.

rtcosic and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

stuvy likes this.
  4. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    got one outside
    hang on

5. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    left 500 top 400 tr 440 b r 260 bottom 740
    plus bit behind seals so add another 5mm to 10mm on width

6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Awesome. Many thanks. I need to start experimenting with burning hot sugar now...

7. fizzy Member

uk
    Well I had a Freelander 2 on lease for a while.
    Probably the car that has exceeded my expectations the most.
    I thought it was a joking LR - thought it would be crap.
    It was the best car I have ever driven in very slippery conditions. Awesome in ice and snow.
    Also the most stable on soaking wet roads - almost no aquaplaning.

Parm and rtcosic like this.
  8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    That's very interesting. Don't suppose you happen to have held on to a spare window by any chance?

On a more serious note, if I was to use a spare window glass as a mould (they need several sugar glass copies) what do we think might happen if I was to pour a litre of boiling sugar onto it?

About 150 degrees C of sticky, high SHC liquid goo. Any bets? I'll probably do it on a sheet of marble but might be interesting to "overdo" the effort to impress the producer. Never know where that might get me.

<edit> Zoiks! Make that TWO litres of boiling hot sugar... What could possibly go wrong?

rtcosic and Seadog like this.
  9. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Who knows - but we are looking forward to the video.

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  10. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

You doing work at Pinewood or Leavesden Studios?

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Not quite. It's for an independent.

Oh ok, so it's for a film student friend of mine. Dammit, now you burst my bubble... :mad:

But you never know where these things go. I was astonished to discover just how professional their training is. We still appear to have an excellent education system in certain areas.

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well, I'm nearly there now. Got the measurements, did a small scale test now ready to go big.

All I need is clear unadulterated corn syrup, distilled water and some silica gel (cat litter). Can I find any of that here, in London? You would have thought yes, the answer is no.

If I had a pound for every time someone tells me deionised water is the same, I'd be a rich man...

13. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

OK, I'll bite. Given the application why do you need distilled rather than de-ionised/de-mineralised water?

The reason distilled is hard to come by is that the still needs licensing and regular inspection to check it isn't being used to distill spirits. We removed the old automated unit in the site lab decades ago for that reason.

De-ionised/de-mineralised via ion exchange or reverse osmosis is simpler to manage and until your post, I never knew of any application it wasn't suitable for.

I don't know about pharmaceutical use, but I would have thought UV or other treatments would replace the heat of the distillation process.

You could use the old trick of fractional crystallization rather than fractional distillation. In plain English scrape the frost off the inside of the freezer and allow it to melt.

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I'm not fishing mate. Read the above, distilled water is use to produce clear sugar glass. De-ionised water still contains enough biological and mineral contaminants to cause the sugar to colour.

rtcosic, Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Seem to recall a pan of boiling water with an upside down lid filled with icecubes on top and a bowl floating in the hot water to catch the distilled water.

16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Sure there's a thousand ways to make your own, you can even use the drain water from a tumble dryer. I just want to buy some, I don't have time to make up 5l of distilled water.

I have made my first full scale attempt at window glass. It did not go well...

Made a crude mould from plasticine.

[​IMG]

Spent an hour over a hot stove. The lead is a temperature probe from my Fluke 17B+. I also have a digital thermometer (too short to hold over hot sugar!) and a laser probe thing (for the forge) which I am not sure I trust pointing at bubbles.

At the very critical moment with the sugar at 150ish Celsius, the Fluke went nuts. The reading stopped rising gently and was swinging all over the place. My guess is the bare end of the probe was finding the inside of bubbles where the sugar turns into a frothing foam.

[​IMG]

...and after the pour, it looks pretty good. Looks are decieving. I missed the crack point and ended up with toffee. Also I didn't have enough mixture, I need to bite the bullet and stick in an entire giant bag. So I tilted the marble slab to make it run around the edge. Dropped it and the surface immediately crystallised!

[​IMG]

Amazing subject materials science. Sugar behaves very strangely and has a sticking point during a phase change where you dump a ton of energy into it and it doesn't get any hotter. Anyhow...

[​IMG]

Pleased with the colour, just got to get the hardness.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  17. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Don't blame you in those quantities.
    I needed a small amount for thinning home made vape juice down.
    Looking through those pics reminds me of making fudge. Tricky to get it spot on.

18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Nailed it.

[​IMG]

It's thick and the corn syrup is flavoured which also gives it a tint, plus I had to go with de-ionised water.

Got a decent curve on it but it's so difficult to move, I thought I'd best not fuss with it.

[​IMG]

Thick enough I reckon and I stuck some glassfibre net in there to help support it.

[​IMG]

Seadog, eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I remember my Mum using it to help a recalcitrant fire going, so it burns very well. :thumbup:

And sticks to skin like Hell when melted, almost as bad as sealing wax - don't even ask......:vsad:

20. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

Years ago I watched a programme where they made huge ice blocks so they could be carved into ice sculptures

They used distilled water to achieve crystal clear results

The outfit was based in some northern Scandinavian country

Edit: you can buy distilled water from a place called lab shop, better have deep pockets cause it’s quite expensive. We used this supplier for distilled water in my old job

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements