Kemppi fastmig kms 400 mvu settings

1. Panasync New Member

Hi,
    Just bought a used fastmig, with too many options :)

This machine is planned for use for only welding aluminium, mostly 5-6mm thick.

The machine has many options I am not used to have, so some help on settings would be nice.

Parameter:
    Pre gas time, can be set to 0,0 - 9,9 seconds.
    Post gas time, can be set to 0,1 - 32seconds, or auto. I would think auto is good?
    Creep Start Level, can be set to 10 - 170%.
    Start power, can be set to -9 - +9 ?
    Post Current Time, can be set to -9 - +9 ?

2. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Pre Gas flow will depend on the length of torch and how often it is between starts. on my EWM I have an 8m push-pull torch so I tend to have the pre flow set to about 1 to 1.5 seconds.

Post Flow I just have set about 1 second as I find Aluminium solidifies very quickly so more time isn't required. If doing stinless etc then possibly longer.

Creep start I am not really sure about in terms of settings, I don't recall my EWM having the ability to adjust it but likely 40-50% would be a good place to start.

Start power, I presume zero would be the same as your normal welding current so as it is Alu you want the start to be a bit hotter. I have mine set to 120% so on yours maybe +2 or +3.

Post current time, probably just leave at zero and see what it is like. I control the start current and end current times from my torch as I use what EWM call Special Latched mode, that means when I press and hold the trigger the gas will start flowing for the preset time and then the wire will start at creep until the metal is contacted and the arc starts, it will then slope to start current and I start welding, then I let go of the trigger and it goes down to normal current. At the end of the weld I press and hold the trigger again and it goes to end current and stays there until I release. I much prefer that than using the timed options.

3. Panasync New Member

Thanks for good input, I will try and play around with it next week, certainly helps with some good advice :)
    Have not been welding alu for many years, but I believe I will get the hang off it again, worst part is to adjust the machine and get used to it.

4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

My EWM comes with programmes for different materials, wire diameter etc etc. I found they are very close to what you need but then as you gain experience you tweak the settings to get it welding to suit your style.

Is it a pulse Mig you have? I am not really up to speed on the Kemppi welders as when I was looking for a new pulse Mig I saw the Kemppi ones could not be used with a push-pull gun as they expected you to use a SuperSnake instead.

5. Panasync New Member

6. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    That the number for the power source isnt it? What is the wire feeder with it? Have you got a fastcool unit with it?

Are they easy to adjust on your control panel, or are they all in hidden menus?

Id be inclined to put a little pre gas, a few seconds post flow, start power, id probably set prety high for doing ally, and creep start, no idea, 50% perhaps...
    Try doing a few runs and adjust from there. Not a very scientific approach, but you'lll soon see what needs adjusting- do you have much experience with MIG on ally?

7. Panasync New Member

Yes correct it's for the power source, the wire feeder is a FastMig MF33, most parameters are in "hidden" menus, but not hard to find.

Try and and fail is probarbly the way forward, but I can save some frustration of getting the parameters close to good first, and then go from there.
    I will not say I have welded alot of alu, but did some alu welding 10 years plus back...

I also have a Miller XMT 350, but this I use for only black steel, I think this is a very good machine and could of course rig this up for Alu as well.
    But it's nice to have an extra for this, always ready to go, even if it's not too often.

Hood likes this.
  8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Is it synergic or just standard Mig? From the pics of the wire feed it looks basic but not sure if the base unit has a screen with parameters,/adjustments or not.

9. Panasync New Member

Yes, the panel is on the power supply.
    Don't believe it's synergic.

• DSC_0021.JPG
  10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No, doesn't look like it, still you can do Alu welding no problem with a standard Mig, did it for many a year.

11. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    They arn't synergic, they are good work horses. :thumbup:

If you change interconnecting cables and torches, you aso need to tell the machine how long it all adds up to so it adjusts itslf to suit.

12. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

When my old Arcos Lincoln packed up half way through welding a small Aluminium ferry I borrowed a friends Kemppi. Old transformer machine but it had a very nice arc to it and seriously considered looking about for a similar one, in the end had to get a welder quick so got an Esab, nice machine but not as good as the Kemppi.

Advertisements