Kemppi 2000 master Tig/Arc - Worth repairing?

1. Dr Strangeglove Member

I have a Kemppi master 2000 (or something like that) tig/MMA welder in three phase. I have been told it is a good machine but requires some repair.

It needs a new Printed Circuit Board and some switches repairing. I have a quote of £244 plus vat for this work to be done.

Although he set has MMA leads, it will require a tig torch which I have been quoted at approx £150 + vat (I think it needs a slightly different plug than a standard torch!).

What I need to know is

A) Is the machine worth repairing?
    B) Could I do it cheaper (i.e. - buy the PCB myself and fit it (is this hard to do?)). I think the switches have the stalks/knobs missing so about four would be replaced - is this a simple job if I can get replacement switches?
    C) Can I get a torch cheaper? - This will need the correct plug or and adaptor to suit!

As always any help is received with thanks!

Regards

Mick

2. I had and still have the same model, same problem...My big kemmpi set also had a simlar problem with a PCB......both I had fixed...

The PCB was simlar money for my sets, Yes I would say its worth doing, but make it clear no fix no money, and your not an open walet... personaly I wouldnt do it myself unless youve got a super cheep pcb out an old machine to try, paticualy as they say theres a couple of switches also, that board is proberbly £180 worth.....If they cook it then its there problem...

Have you got a water cooler and do you know what size torch youve been quoted on, also have you a foot pedal or is a torch with latching..... any torch will fit but you need the right torch for your set if that makes scence...

Kemmpis are good machines, so there worth spending a bit of money on.........

Edit 350amp water cooled torch is normaly around the £70 mark.

3. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Weldcraft torches here are under $100 for a 150A air-cooled one. ($48 for the torch and then an accessory kit for about 40 with collets, shrouds, ferrules, back cap.) A 200A is about $120.

Adapters are usually around $20.

If they are just small switches, then you can probably find similar ones. If they are mouted on circuit boards, they will be harder to find exact replacements.

You will have to look at the circuit board. It might just mount with 4 screws and all the connections plug in (otherwise you might need to solder/unsolder wires.)

4. Dr Strangeglove Member

I am trying to get work to pay for some (at least) of the repair.

The torch is a WP26 4mtr @ £59.90 + vat (£70)
    Tig adaptor 3/8 35 - 50mm @ £18.66 + vat (£21.90)
    4 Pin male plug 9770304 @ £28.70 + vat (£33.70)
    Cable clamp 9770304 @ £9.92 + vat (£11.65)
    Rubber boot 9770391 @ £2.34 + vat (£2.75)
    Hour labour to fit and test @ £29.00 + vat (£34.08)

I think they have quoted the WP26 as it is a 200A set.

Just for the torch it works out to £148.61 + vat (£174.61)

I take it I need all of the above but as I will only mainly use it for work I don't want to be spending money I don't need to. I just wondered what all the different parts are for, as most of the torches I have seen are a lot cheaper.

5. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Jeez, they are raping you on the connectors. 4-pin plug for £33.70.

Do an ebay search for "Weldcraft 26 torch". They come up, I gust picked up a spare for $21 (Heriarc relabel of the same torch.)

The WP-26 is an air-cooled torch up to 200A. The consumables for the 9 and 17 models are the same.

The Chinese TIGs use either a WP-17 or WP-26 clone. You can get the consumables real cheap and they have torches cheap (have seen WP-17, 150A for $15 new.)

What connector does the unit have for the welding cables? If it is a standard 1/2" bolt setup, it will be easy to get an adapter. I made mine out of a spare spool gun adapter. Just took some fittings.

You could look for ebay deals. The only part you would may need is the adapter for the torch and the 4-pin male plug. Although the plug can probably be found elsewhere as most are DIN connectors or circular conectors.

6. weldequip Forum Sponsor

Not sure how the "Cable Clamp" & "Rubber Boot" count as add on's but other than that I don't think you are being fleeced; most of the cheap TIG torches you see advertised are "bare", without all the extra bit's needed. The amphenol plugs are not cheap & each manufacturer tends to use their 'own'. Just check on the make of the torch itself... the cheapest torches on the market have a brass torch head & the better quality one's have a copper torch head (transfers current better but costs more) ;)
    weldequip

7. steve53 Member

England
    Hi,
    Don't know which area you are from but you could do worse than try a call to Welding Star (Wilkinson Welding) in Manchester and find out who their nearrest supplier to you is. Their torches and spares are good quality and reasonably priced. I have used and sold them for the past 15 years with no problem

8. Vikash Ginodia New Member

I own a Kemppi Master 2200 Tig Welding Machine and need its Printed Circuit Board. Can anyone help me to locate its seller or any suitable alternative for it?

Regards,

Vikash Ginodia
    Kolkata, West Bengal, India

9. MrPossible Member

10. Try Parweld, they should be able to make a torch to fit straight onto your machine, without adapters, and at lower cost.

11. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    This thread is 7 1/2 years old!!! ;)

12. Lol...............didnt notice! Wonder if there are any other ways of fitting alternative torches to sets like Kemppi, other than adapters, or Parweld option?

13. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Yes, if it's an air cooled torch you can cut the end off the power cable and crimp on the correct current nipple if you have the spares to do it. Problem arises when power and gas come through the threaded outlet together, if you got a water cooled torch then you must have an adaptor otherwise you have no way to get water and gas to go to the correct places.

14. irondwarf New Member

I have got a mastertig 2000 MLS and am in need of either the basic MTL or the pulse MTX welding panel, anyone have one to sell

15. MattH

MattH Member

Lol, now it's 9 years old!

pdg, Richard., eSCHEn and 1 other person like this.
  16. irondwarf New Member

thought I would try here before starting a new thread

Advertisements