Keeping my Astravan alive

1. Tray

Tray Member

a111r and Parm like this.
  2. Tray

Tray Member

The van is a 2002 1.7DTI Astra Envoy.
    I only paid £600 for it about 8 years ago.
    It now has 275000ish miles on the clock and does a 140mile round trip from London to Thanet every day returning 50+mpg.
    Amongst other things over the years I have fitted factory electric windows with full closure on the remote when I deadlock it(Press the remote twice), new front and rear springs, shocks, water pump, alternator, timing belt, wheel bearings brakes etc......

Olderisbetter likes this.
  3. Tray

Tray Member

The ole girl has always taken an age to heat up and rarely got up to full temp, after recent events with a blown coolant hose which has been replaced, she started heating up more quickly reaching a decent temp and the fan was kicking in every now and then.
    The first time the fan ran I wondered what the hell all the noise was, I don’t think it’s ever been required to run since I’ve had the van and there were leftover bits of pigeon that I hit about 8 months ago flying again.
    This worried me so today I’m checking the thermostat (had planned to do this since I got the van even have a new one that’s been on a shelf in the garage for several years)

4. Tray

Tray Member

So removed battery for better access and because I’m also replacing it as it’s a bit tired (It’s lasted 5 years) and I managed to get exactly the same one for £55 (paid £88 5 year ago)
    Opened the stat housing and was greeted by this
    upload_2020-7-18_15-46-50.jpeg

5. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

aaaannnd ?

premmington likes this.
  6. tom2207 Member

I had an old Van I nursed along for years and years ,,

We had great times and many adventures together
    She was called Gloria ,,,,

Gloria Fiesta Van

7. a111r Member

another kitchen job?

8. Tray

Tray Member

No not the kitchen this time.
    As you can see the rubber seal in the valve is falling to bits, first one I’ve seen with a rubber seal to be fair.
    I’m guessing it’s never closed properly since I’ve had the van, and maybe a bit of it was jamming the valve open then came loose when I had the burst hose and drove the van for 20mile with very low coolant causing the valve to open fully and release the trapped bit.
    I’ve taken the thermostat out to replace with the new/old stock from me garage.
    A while back I took out the heat exchanger between the coolant/oil due to a small oil leak where it bolts to the engine.
    I found it completely blocked on the coolant side I reckon radweld has been used and it’s caused this.
    Clearing it out did help the heater warm up a little quicker so I’m guessing it’s not just an oil cooler as most people seemed to refer to it but that it helps make the heater work quicker from cold as well.
    All the hose connections around the thermostat housing were very furred up and on removal there seemed to be a lot of the same stuff I found in the heat exchanger around the joints.
    upload_2020-7-18_18-28-27.jpeg
    The inside behind the stat looks pretty clear.

upload_2020-7-18_18-31-4.jpeg

I’ve given the cooling system a good flush with clean water and have put some rad flush in with the stat still removed to make sure it gets circulated properly and the system is well cleaned.

9. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

my old Asra van series 1, 1.6D.......just went on and on........the heater never worked, just used a blanket....drove the wife nut's but it was so good on fuel.....
    her car sucked petrol and it was in the days of 2 full wages to pay the mortgage.......
    no real rot...ripped out the carpets and all painted red oxide......
    only sold it cos it was car size.....always wanted the tall roof version.....
    happy days....

slim_boy_fat and Olderisbetter like this.
  10. badabec Forum Supporter

Looks open

11. premmington

premmington Member

It is a 52 plate van (end of life - high mileage vehicle ) - it is has given you good service...

Let go...

Scrap it - get a newer one!

It is 18 years old - it it was child - it would be leaving home by now! :waving:

(it is never gonna be a classic)....

rtcosic likes this.
  12. Tray

Tray Member

I know she’s an old girl but like I said I only paid £600 for it when I was on me **** 10 year ago and it’s been brilliant too me.
    I have done regular oil/filter changes, coolant changes and various other maintenance but as you can see a few things have been missed mainly due to having 2 kids and only being home at weekends due to work over the last 5 years.
    10 year old vans now cost ridiculous money as far as I’m concerned, I won’t know if they’ve been looked after properly and they may end up costing me more to maintain than my baby.
    Strangely I also consider a bit of rust starting to show on one of the rear wheel arches a bonus as I will be able to practice welding car panels when I’m confident enough, before I even think about attempting the sills on my 380sl which sadly has been garaged for over 10 years.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    slim_boy_fat, magnet, garethp and 2 others like this.
  13. Tray

Tray Member

Also today new OEM battery tray (only £15 on fleabay) to keep the MOT guy happy as the old one had snapped right across the battery retaining clamp.
    upload_2020-7-18_20-47-5.jpeg

New fuel filter(another old/new stock item from me garage)
    upload_2020-7-18_20-48-1.jpeg
    Tomorrow I get to play with installing this
    upload_2020-7-18_20-49-22.jpeg
    I’ve got an Alpine amp driving me door speakers, a sub in the back and this new toy for setting em up properly cos I keep blowing speakers.
    upload_2020-7-18_20-51-40.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  14. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

I love my old mk1 astra van it was badged as a bedford 1.6d great on fuel and it ended its life at 250,000 miles after a bin wagon skidded into it.

nickk, magnet and Tray like this.
  15. Tray

Tray Member

Oh and this turned up so I might get some welding practice in too
    upload_2020-7-18_20-53-39.jpeg
    I know flux core is generally frowned upon but I got no gas and no workshop so I’m outdoors.

These are the first 2 beads I have ever run after getting my Cosmo130 fully modded thanks to this https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/new-user-with-cosmo-170-sip-and-a-headache.8028/ thread.
    Using 0.8 flux core on 4mm box section 1 setting below max(the breaker kept tripping on max)
    I know I didn’t clean the box section first it was late and I just wanted to give it a go.
    I think they’re pretty good for a first attempt and only a slight clean up with a wire brush.
    upload_2020-7-18_20-58-45.jpeg

16. Tray

Tray Member

From the inside
    upload_2020-7-18_21-4-50.jpeg
    I won’t bother showing you any of the attempts I made before the mods

slim_boy_fat and Olderisbetter like this.
  17. a111r Member

Looks an ace first attempt, I'd say.

I've also got a 1983 W123 Merc to metal fettle. Thankfully, just the front wings and rear arches - the underside is rock solid. At least they used decent gauge steel back then.

18. Tray

Tray Member

Thanks

Mines an 82 R107 she looks pretty solid until you start poking about underneath.
    I’m certain the bulkhead leaks into the front foot wells which is going to be an interesting repair too.
    I looked into taking it to these guys https://www.theslshop.com/ they’ll do a full inspection and provide pictures and a full rundown on what work is required for £500 I think.
    I asked them for a worst case scenario quote for sills and bulkhead and it was over £7000, that’s when I started looking into welding again.
    They do supply panels though and have some videos of the inspections being done and it’s nothing I couldn’t do myself time allowing(obviously not the welding yet)
    If I’m really really really really lucky it will just be the seals around the blower air intakes that are gone on the bulkhead.
    upload_2020-7-18_21-59-37.jpeg

nickk likes this.
  19. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Can anyone else see the skull inside that box section? :o

20. a111r Member

Looks nice, very well worth it when done, with new metal where R107's all go.

That Cosmo. Just get rid and treat yourself ... even if the 'treat' is a 30 year old Clarke 90.

Advertisements