John Guest Speedfit

1. Andy Clears New Member

May well have already answered my own question buty just want to see what other people thought about it.

So this idea started a while back with the idea of putting in JGS plastic pipe, Sealy sell it, and at the time the company i worked for were an agent for Sealey so i could get a good discount.

Then i noticed on some threads on this forum that some people have used copper water pipe to make up a hard line for their workshop, this got me thinking....

JGS also make plastic pipe for household plumbing with the same sort of fittings but i white instead of blue so i brought a two meter length and fitted it into the rubber air hose I'm using at the moment.

The system is running approx 90-100psi after the regulator and the JGS pipe is rated at 12bar @ 20c. I've had this on test for the last month or so with no problems what so ever but i'm still a little dubious about putting a complet hard line in the workshop, would cost me about £50.00 for this instead of about £200.00 for the blue JGS pipe from Sealey

What do you think?

Cheers
    Andy

2. hotponyshoes Member

I have run 100psi+ through the white GJ tubing with no problems.
    I wouldn't use it in the workshop though as it's hard to make it look tidy unless you use a clip every 50mm it will sag .
    Also the end fittings to adapt it to the airline connectors are either really expensive or really weak.
    Copper and solder would be the way to go, maybe a 20mm ring with 15mm drop downs?

I have got 1" steel water pipe running around mine but there are normally a few people using air at the same time although if you ever want to use a shot blaster then bigger is better

3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Speed fit will accep copper. No issues with sag where it's visible then

4. hotponyshoes Member

I get a pretty good discount on John guest stuff but a pack of 5 tees is about the same price as a pack of 20 copper tees!

The outlet ends to take the pipe to a thread are a bit cheaper in copper and stand up a lot better to abuse. Most of the lower price John guest ones have plastic backplates and will rip apart if you trip over an airline.

I expect copper pipe will condensate more though. The steel pipe I use is terrible. I don't know if it might be an advantage to collect some of the condensate in the ring though?

5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

copper is a good cunductor of heat or cold so will dissipate the heat much quicker

plastic will become brittle after a period of time just be aware of flying plastic bits if it ever gives when pressurizing it

Brad93 and 123hotchef like this.
  6. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    I seem to remember something on here about regular plastic pipe shattering if its knocked while under pressure?

When I've priced up plumbing the plastic pipe is cheap but fittings are expensive, copper is the other way round.

ronan likes this.
  7. brightspark

brightspark Member

coppers far superior and a better heat conductor :)

8. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    I used copper in the shed when i got a big compressor a few years back. I have seen plastic shatter under pressure, and its nasty stuff when it does, the shards are like flying razor blades. I do not remember the copper being daft money when i done mine, and its a neat job, doesn't yellow with sunlight or age, does not sag. You could always use steel GB either.

brightspark likes this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

the pipe is too new

Seadog and ronan like this.
  10. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

You shouldn't be using jg water pipe for air

Nick DV and 123hotchef like this.
  11. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

A friend of mine has piped his shed with blue Alkathene as he was advised not to use the indoor domestic plastic for air because it can shatter with age and vibration cycling. Alkathene can burst but doesn't shatter. There's a bit of a discussion about it on a farming forum.

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I use JG type pipe on the pond. Goes brittle in UV light and fittings last three or four years before they start Mmmm...Danone air out

brightspark likes this.
  13. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Pex pipe doesn't go brittle or shatter. Most of the horror stories are from the US where they use PVC pipe for domestic water. Personally, I would use pex-al-pex 16mm underfloor heating pipe.

14. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

JG do sell a plastic pipe for air lines :thumbup:

Sean likes this.
  15. mike os

Yes but not water pipe

Nick DV likes this.
  16. hotponyshoes Member

I don't think the op is talking about water pipe.
    From the prices he's quoting it looks like he's buying the air stuff.

17. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

I'm sure it's really nice to have a plumbed in air system, but is your workshop that big that you need it? Surely you'd save a lot of money of you just bought a decent length hose or retractable hose reel, and it would save a lot of messing around? Then again, I just might be a tight fisted git :vsad:

18. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

No, not water pipe - plastic pipe for air :laughing:

mike os likes this.
  19. mike os

Reread op...

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  20. Mikes Member

The JG pipe for air is nylon. Tool Station sell it but don't seem to have much choice of fittings.

Advertisements