Iveco cargo horsebox conversion

1. Chillitt Member

No, not me, its a bit rich for my blood.
    A mate has decided converting a horsebox into a mobile home is a good idea. Well, it was his wifes idea and all wife ideas are good ones from what Ive heard...
    It was cheap, they say. They are having a new roof put on as the old one leaks, and all the storage boxes down the sides have been taken out. When i comes back, the tailgate is going to need the rot cutting out and Ive been volunteered for that job. there is lots to do apart form that... the underside has some rust showing, the chaps doing the roof suggested the air tanks needed replacing due to rust, the diff has some surface rust, and also the fuel filters. They put in quite a rich quote for fixing this so it looks like we are doing it. While under there, they want to tidy up the chassis and paint it. also the tyres are a bit ancient and will need replacing.
    So, any reccs on a decent paint and any tips on cheap tyres?

2. hotponyshoes Member

Hankook (spelling?)
    Decent tyres if you are not doing a lot of miles.
    Withstand perishing a lot better than some of the others.

barking mat and Chillitt like this.
  3. hotponyshoes Member

Ref paint, manor chassis black is good value for money.
    That's if you even need to do it.
    If it's got dropped sides/lockers it should be fairly well protected anyway.
    Lorrys can have mot requirements applied retrospectively so it will more than likely fail in something else before the chassis rots out.
    Just fit some full size spray mats all round and leave it alone.

Ps, if it was previously a horse lorry check the top of the chassis, horse urine goes through the floor and you are more likely to find rot on the top of the rails than the sides or bottoms!

james butler and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. qwakers Member

its a iveco. From experience i can promise you the chassis needs a lot of
    attention.

i would clean all the rust off, cover it in phosphoric acid then shutz the whole chassis. twice.

Parm and Shedendman like this.
  5. hotponyshoes Member

Another thing,
    Depending on the age and existing layout of it you might be a lot better off doing the work and tidying it up to sell on as a good condition horse box.

Horse boxes tend to have a small, all-in-one kitchen/living/toilet area then a big empty space filled with expensive rubber matting and stainless fittings for the horses. Plus the ramps (if sound) take a bit of making.
    You could well be ripping out a few £k's worth of parts to convert into a camper when you could buy a empty shell lorry to layout as you want for not a lot of money.

Turbo, Stuart M, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  6. hotponyshoes Member

We have converted a couple of iveco's into horse boxes. Never noticed the chassis on them to be any worst than any other. They have all been pretty new though so an older one might be a lot different!

7. qwakers Member

first generation eurocargo 2000 to about 2004.... terrible for chassis rot behind the front spring hangers (rear axle) all the way back to the end.

8. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    And i'll tell you something else horse pee loves steel,NOT:laughing:

barking mat and qwakers like this.
  9. qwakers Member

oh aye. but even so, the damage ive seen on a horsebox, which has a properly sealed floor and drains ducted away from the chassis, and is STILL rotten behind the axle.... bloody thing lol

Shedendman likes this.
  10. Chillitt Member

The horse area has been stripped and refloored, and I'd hope for what they charged any rust sorted out.

11. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Sealed properly to i hope,its not so much the pee,its when the owner goes in with the fire hose and blasts the place to bits,therefore damaging any sealed joints

12. Chillitt Member

Yes, hopefully. But I cant see it getting hosed out much as the horse bit is an ex horse bit and will have bunk beds and stuff in it.

Shedendman likes this.
  13. gaz_moose Member

Won't it just smell of horses all the time?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. hotponyshoes Member

This /\
    At the least I would suggest leaving it all shut up for a few hours on a warm day then going in for a sniff..

Ashley Burton and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. Chillitt Member

What, even after the floor, roof, one side completely and the lining on the other side have been replaced? I dont think it will be over powering..

16. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

@Shedendman horse pee also really loves aluminium coachbuilt frames, NOT !

No, they don't smell of horses, mines used to smell of fresh coffee and other things.

17. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Jones scrap yard Devizes. Will fit them as well for a small fee.
    Paint, any "Rustolin range"

18. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Watch the electrics on it as well.

19. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

They're living this fairy tale dream aren't they?

Sounds like a money pit, If something is cheap its generally going to cost you

stuvy and Chillitt like this.
  20. Chillitt Member

Well it went away to the 'professionals' and came back with a new fb roof and the panel where all the locker were replaced with a plain side, and half the floor replaced. Sadly the roof is bodged. It leaks, the steel frame work wasnt cleaned at all, and there is some variable quality mig welding of the roof cross pieces, and nothing between the fibreglass and the steel so it flaps about and rattles. Also the roof now holds an awful lot of water.. two skylight have been fitted second time more lucky by the looks of it, but still bodged. The side is ok.. The floor is also bodged. sheets of board missing the steel work on the joins, hardly any screws and joints not sealed. They quoted a great long list of expensive and easy to swap out stuff, but didnt spot the rear panel framework is rotten as a pear... Over all, Im less than impressed. Looks like them or me is going to have to redo most of it..

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements