Is this snapon genuine?

1. julianf

julianf Member

Someone's got a box up for sale locally.

I don't know snapon well, but I've seen plenty of snapon stickers stuck on anything!

Is this one genuine?

69722070_10156078769240882_5796142366922375168_n.jpg

Fazerruss likes this.
  2. julianf

julianf Member

Hmm... Now I've posted the photo, I'm wondering why anyone would have a stackon sticker on a snapon box.

I think I've answered my own question!

Thank you.

3. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Still ok if on sale for not very much money

4. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I've seen really beat up Snap On boxes go for stupid money imho, so I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole genuine or not.

Kennedy do some decent looking boxes on Ebay for far more reasonable money, YMMV though. I'm considering getting a top box for layout tools and such like myself.

5. chris pruteanu Member

The snap on boxes are some of the best in the bussiness ! I have two- one i bought for little over 300 quid of ebay and another which i bought with my tools from local snap on dealer. If i'm being honest the halfords industrial range or the stainless steel boxes from costco are just as good but for less money than snap on however the snap on have the edge...

julianthegypsy and Arc Tourist like this.
  6. Slowcoach Member

The box with the stack-on badge is a intermediate box by the look of it and separate to the top box, also looks a different colour.
    Not sure if the top box is snap on but the carry handles are the same as on a beech toolbox I have, but mine has a drop down front.

7. Wallace

Wallace Member

Stack-On was sold in Halfords I think before the Professional range came out.

Melvyn Best likes this.
  8. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Looks like a rip off.
    Not sure I've ever seen snapon boxes with plastic handles....

arther dailey likes this.
  9. Bill Edwards Member

Doesn’t look like a SO to me.

They are very good boxes, worth the money if you do more than hobby level work.

10. hotponyshoes Member

The silver bits for the handles are on the top of the drawers on a genuine snapon box.
    Lock is wrong as well, should be a round barrel with anti grab ring around the outside.
    If they have the key/s they will have snap-on in the metal of them as well

Wallace likes this.
  11. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

If its got decent quality roller draws and its cheap enough who cares :dontknow:

Bob

stuvy, Parm, Maker and 2 others like this.
  12. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    draw edges and side handles suggest its a cheapie to me

thing is you dont loose alot of money on a clean used snap on box as it will always re sell

13. Wallace

Wallace Member

Something made me look closer at the top box, I think it was the two folded ears on the front face and the ribs on the lid. It looks very much like one I bought in 1989, the drawers had roller bearings and it was quite well made with a good shiny finish. Snap-On boxes at that time I don’t remember being so shiny, the finish was more in keeping with the lower Stack-On cheapie, a satin finish. Unfortunately I don’t have it to compare as I gave it to my nephew when I bought the Halfords Professional set.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    never used a square lock that im aware of either..agree on the folded ears too , none of the ones ive had used exposed joins like that

Wallace likes this.
  15. hotponyshoes Member

Also the snap-on ones have the snap-on logo and the part number stamped into the side panels lower rear corner on at least one side so you could ask for a photo of that if they are claiming it's a genuine one.

Wallace likes this.
  16. p0689109 Member

Avoid as it looks a cheap one. I think Snap on as a brand are over rated. There are plenty of really good stuff out there for a lot less IMHO. Anytime I come across a Snap on tool at a auction I buy then resell it as I do not like the feel of them. I think most people buy them for snobbery value and the "lifetime" guarantee. Well Halfords give you that so long as you keep the receipts.

Yamhon likes this.
  17. pondy

pondy Forum Supporter

I personally wouldn't spend the money on snap on stuff anymore . If got 15k in snap on tools, and a 40" stack with side locker I've collected over the past 14 years. Recent dispute with my employer over insurance so I've taken it all home, Brough a box from aldi for about £150, 200pc halfords advanced set for £240 and have had any issues in the past month. Doing the same thing my snap on did with life time warranty. Manage to maintain a fleet of 300 vehicles with it

Yamhon likes this.
  18. pondy

pondy Forum Supporter

19. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

snap on sticker should be alloy panel with plastic insert used to be on the top right hand side on the older top box's

20. winchman

winchman Member

Bottom is Stack on very cheap and flimsey for professional use, top one isnt Snap on, Cant remember who made them but I recognise the handles and front ears? Talco?
    All Snap on boxes have a serial number and country of manufacture on the rear
    It all depends on price and what you need, if its cheap just buy it.
    Snap on have always made good boxes but some are better than others, but they are all good quality.

Advertisements