is it normal for the rollers to mark the wire ?

1. rob12770 Member

Hi all, im new. and new to MIG welding, just bought a cheap Dirty Pro a365 mig 100 gasless model. ( if i take to it, il buy something better ):artist:
    i have set it up but not even tried to weld yet, it was snowing then raining out..( welcome to Scotland)
    anyhoo i noticed the wire coming out the torch has little dimples, i can see its the roller that it causing it, i can stop the wire by firmly pinching it, so i know its set ok, AFAIK it looks to be on the 0.8 roller groove, im just checking its normal before i proceed ?
    cheers Rob ;)
    my welder
    https://dirtyprotools.co.uk/product...-with-mask-welding-weld-wire-with-accessories

• wire.jpg
    • wire 2.jpg
    • wire 3.jpg
  2. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

The gasless welders do have a knurled drive wheel on them so I would expect a constant marking along the wire.;)
    Welcome to the forum.:thumbup:

rob12770 likes this.
  3. rob12770 Member

hi dobbslc,
    ok mate, thanks for that.. i just wasnt too sure, now i know cheers Rob :thumbup:

4. rob12770 Member

hmm. i had a go.. im not even going to post my attempt. :ashamed:
    i only had 15mm square stock.. about 2mm thick..i got about 2 what i would call welds amongst a lot of splatter :laughing: but i know it takes time.. upwards and onward :D

5. Jetex

Jetex Member

That welder looks very similar to the Parkside flux core welder they are selling in Lidl at the moment.
    Parkside-MIG-Flux-Cored-Wire-Welder-NEW.jpg

same price
    lidl welder.JPG

6. Jetex

Jetex Member

I don't have one but yes, it looks like it from the label

7. Jetex

Jetex Member

Harbour freight also sell one like it in the US and judging by the reviews they say the same, it does not weld well.

8. rob12770 Member

• welder table.jpg
    • welder table plate.jpg
  9. rob12770 Member

well according to amazon and ebay reviews its welds well, but the main reason was the mention here that calls it " Superb for novice welders "
    https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/mig-welder

10. rob12770 Member

well i watched loads of vids on the similar harbor freight welders most of them are fairly favourable and theres plenty decent welds made with them, like this guy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. rob12770 Member

exactly m8. it was a cheap welder to have a go with.. im sure il do ok with it in time.. i had turned the wire feed WAY down think that would be easier.. but no.. that also drops the power down.. so no real weld bead and lots of spatter.. im going to have another go soon..just weathers been bad...

funny u say that about the duty cycle as that review said it was pretty good at low loads ( for what it was ) . but as i say im TOTALY new so can only go by what i read.. right or wrong :laughing:
    cheers rob

12. rob12770 Member

dunno. but i was spattering away a good while 5 mins or so and it never gave a temp warning light or cut out.
    .but yes.. i will get a gas/ gasless once more practiced.. i did oxy/ acet welding many years ago at college etc and enjoyed that.. but this MIG is quite different lol..
    a lot safer tho. imho.. those torches are an accident waiting to happen in the wrong hands ( mine ) ☺

. to me.. this is more Arc welding than MIG as its gasless but hey ho.i suppose its a gray area.

13. rob12770 Member

lol ok i will slap em !:laughing:
    thanks for the info tho :thumbup:

14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Ahhh, the old 'welding in a singlet' method. :vsad:

rob12770 likes this.
  15. rob12770 Member

you may not consider it a decent weld but i suppose its relative.. as i am clueless, it looks good to me :D

to be fair, he admits himself " he is no pro welder" if you watch his other vids hes is just winging it like most people, he does some strength tests on his welds and they are pretty damned solid.. so for my meager purposes id be happy with that, but yes his technique is unorthodox, i will attempt the cursive "e" method.. although, to my surprise, i did not see a "pool" on my 1st attempt as i did in oxy / acetylene welding, but no doubt that was just my error.

but yes to all your comments.. i have NO doubt you are totally correct :thumbup:

16. rob12770 Member

i had to google "singlet" .. i thought it was a welding term :doh::laughing:
    i saw a guy welding in his flip flops the other day :dontknow:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. rob12770 Member

lol ok.. no harry potter nonsence then :whistle:
    cheers for the tip ;)

18. Cuculainn New Member

Hi all so can you just confirm is the lidl FCAW DC output or AC output?

as further on in the thread someone states that from the plate it looks DC output?

what on the data plate indicates its AC?

sorry for the questions but new to all this!

have the lidl welder and have to say i have managed a few decent welds.

19. Cuculainn New Member

Well i just said I would post up one or two images of the welds I have gotten with the lidl FCAW.
    These are just practice beads on a piece of steel. But considering I never welded anything before i think it looks ok.

Can ye critique it please!?

P.S. the short bead is where I ran out of the roll of wire that came with the machine. Hopefully the new roles I have will also improve things a bit
    IMG_20180130_234839913.jpg

• IMG_20180130_235243456.jpg
    • IMG_20180130_234833596.jpg
  20. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

A tip; don't buy Super Six gasless wire. If you find a stockist of Lincoln wire, get it. I was going bananas trying to get a decent gasless weld with Super Six until I found a local stockist of decent wire, namely Air Liquide Weld Team wire and not much more costly than Super Six anyway, only a quid more per small reel where I am.
    I can see how many people think gasless is crap, and truth be told, in a lot of instances it isnt as good as proper argon-shielded MIGging, but it does a job and with the right tools, materials and techniques it can do it well. Gasless welding gets a bad name because of crap wire like SSix (and possibly some users who simply can't learn it anyway).

Advertisements