IR Type 30 model for 4hp?

1. gasket999

gasket999 getting there...

Hi folks. I’m looking for a compressor pump (bare) for a new compressor project.

The Ingersoll Rand Model 30 has always caught my eye, but I get very confused about models. There doesn’t seem to be a history page online.

I’m looking for an older pump that i can rebuild and would work well with a new 4hp single phase motor.

could anyone advise which models of the Type 30 range would work well at this power?

I suspect it would fall somewhere between the 234, the 242 and the raft of other models that have been made.

thank you.

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

4HP on single phase.hope u got a decent supply.......
    but hey what do I know.......

barking mat likes this.
  3. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I think my clarke se19 compressor is 4hp. 40amp breaker copes without tripping

brightspark likes this.
  4. dannyp Member

one thing id say for the type 30's they dont seem to need rebuilding.... mates got one that we pulled out a scrap heap about 10 yrs ago its outlived several compressors ive had, gets an oil change now and then, and wears out a couple of belts after a few years

5. gasket999

Yep. Had the house rewired and the garage on a dedicated consumer unit fed by the largest supply possible with a 45a mcb kept spare - ready for a new wired compressor.

6. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

The pump I have on my compressor is probably the one you want, I am to lazy to go
    and unscrew the cover and have a look at the plate. It's a 2 belter and approx ~ 15cfm displacement
    at 630rpm.

All the ones I have seen you can identify size visually. Or the number of belts.

Or you could get something like this baby:
    ir-t301.jpg

This displaces something like 25cfm at 630rpm and would be driven with a 5hp 3phase motor.

7. johnser

johnser Member

It's not that outrageous (although a compressor is a bit of a dead start) I've an old 5hp single phase motor here that used to start/run quote happily without anything exotic.

8. dannyp Member

if you put a selonid valve on them to dump the air while they get spinning it helps, 3ph motors seem to be abel to grunt big heavy things upto speed much better than singel phase motors in my experiance

9. gasket999

Thanks guys - I’ll have a good look.

I’ve just bought a modern sealey unit in need of rebuild (see my other thread). I will keep looking for the IR T30 in the meantime, but for now I need a working compressor (plus the Sealey one will let me spray up the IR T30 when I find and rebuild it.)

Advertisements