International engine

1. Stingray Member

Looking for an old international tractor to do up, I have seen one advertised that cosmetically looks in good condition, I phoned the guy and asked him if there was any problems with her, he told me:
    1) batteries not charging and charging light coming on
    2) new steering cylinder been installed but steering not working although lift arms going up and down
    3) hole in radiator so water has been drained for winter but tractor starts ok

The tractor is a ih574 with d-239 engine, I am not worried about steering or electrics and I know I can repair the radiator but I am worried about any engine issues with porous liners, cylinder head, etc, apart from checking for milky oil is there any way I can check if the tractor has any engine issues even if I keep topping up radiator with water and run the tractor without coolant system being being pressured/running as it should be, the guy said he bought the tractor to do up but he’s not too mechanically minded and has not got the time to mess about with it, any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

not only engine issue's - check the gearbox cos they are a little weak....

Stingray likes this.
  3. Stingray Member

Hi Frank the tractor looks fairly straight and not abused but without giving it a good run I’ve got to treat it as a non runner, don’t get me wrong if it had Some issues I could not fix I’d probably still get my money back by either getting it fixed or selling on but looking for a tractor to restore and keep a hold of

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I always wonder about folk like that. Advertising e.g. a car which doesn't need much for the MOT but can't be bothered.....:confused:

5. jordhandson Member

Be careful buying a tractor when they say waters drained for the winter, antifreeze aint expensive. Its been known to drain the water if the liners or internal cracked block. I would say dip the oil to see if its pretty clean, there's and indication if any water been getting into the sump, if its really clean, although not definitive way of identifying water in the oil. We have known some unscrupulous sellers putting old dirty oil in a cracked block, and saying it aint been serviced for a while. Your on the right track by treating it as a non runner. Good luck:thumbup:

Stingray and jerrytug like this.
  6. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Make sure you only pay spares or repair money. They have a little spring loaded shuttle prone to sticking, if oils full of bits of metal, that allows oil to the power steering.

Stingray likes this.
  7. Stingray Member

If it was me selling and it just needed the radiator fixed I’d repair it and sell as a runner, problem is it’s quite clean and cheapish, most this age are either nearly twice the price or absolutely knackered, I am fond of the old international’s as I used to drive them on school holidays and weekends on the farm I was brought up on but they were serviced and looked after, I’m going to try and think with my head and not my heart, hopefully it shall sit for a while to weigh up my options, it went through my mind if the oil was contaminated with water that they could change for used uncontaminated oil and say the radiators burst, I would like to see it running for an hour to access the engine, I know you can get aftermarket engine kits for 3-400 quid but not sure if the quality of them and not sure if you can do them with the engine in situ...

slim_boy_fat and jordhandson like this.
  8. Bill Edwards Member

Well at least you can get the bits to rebuild the engine if needed, so factor in the cost of that as a worst case scenario.
    Sounds like it might still be cheap enough as that’s not daft money for a rebuild kit.
    It’s easy for a liner to have a pin hole or brittle seal, you’ll only know for sure when the radiator is fixed and full of coolant again and it doesn’t run into the sump or pressurise.

Stingray likes this.
  9. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

On the up side, wet liners are fairly easy to change if they are gone though.
    With the availability of aftermarket parts now you can sort old tractors that would have been wickedly expensive to put right in their heyday. Providing you buy carefully the quality is OK for what you plan on doing with it. I would be wary of using some of the rebuild kits on a tractor that was going to be worked hard at full chat day after day.

Stingray and jordhandson like this.
  10. dannyp Member

most of the rebuild kits are fine i've used loads of them need to check they go together right as there have been a few issuettes that can be a right pita but once together they clocked up the hours well. some of them have ended up working very hard they are only doing about 6-800 hrs a year but they are flat out all the time they are running

Stingray likes this.
Advertisements