Indexable tooling failure.

1. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

So this happened earlier...
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20191231181613565_COVER~2.jpg

An absolute disgrace....you pay good money for good tooling and you get crap like this. A waste of £4, all I was doing was climb milling a 4mm DOC in tungsten alloy. :laughing:

All jokes aside, as soon as I took it out the tube I thought the web in the middle looked suspiciously thin. I've got the rest of the sizes from 10mm up to 20mm and they are all fine, this one's a bit awkward at 14mm where it's too big for a single insert but really too small for two...when it's being abused.

As a side note, the cheap 50mm face mill did phenomenally well ploughing through the tungsten with a full width 5mm DOC, a stream of red hot chips flying off in its wake. :D

Still very much a fan of super cheap "disposable" indexable carbide tooling. :thumbup:

Rig Pig, decca, Kram and 3 others like this.
  2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Those sort of tooling look better on the shelves for when the mates come around to oohh and aahh over...the "real" stuff you use costing 5 times is in a drawer:D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

I had one let go of 2 out of 3, of its inserts the other day, one of them found its way into my cup of tea while I wasn’t looking and nearly choked me.

Never been a fan of inserts that are only clamped in.

Exuptoy, indy4x and ronan like this.
  4. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

None of my mates are impressed by any of this old man nonsense...that I I don't own any "proper" tooling.

Metrology though, I don't think I own any cheap metrology gear.

ronan, Hopefuldave and roofman like this.
  5. roofman

I was tongue in cheek with my comments..;)

6. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

I know. :thumbup: no snowflakes here old boy.

indy4x and roofman like this.
  7. roofman

:D :thumbup:

8. Kram

Kram Member

Ive got a 10mm one and its rubbish, I think the insert is off center and wont cut propery as an endmill, or boring bar.
    What is the 50mm onr you have? Tempted to get one, but they are aluminium bodies?

9. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

It's a BAP400R-50-22-4F, I think the 22mm Arbor cost more than the cutter and inserts. They are steel but have a shot peened finish which does make them look a bit like aluminium in the pictures. I can't fault it, chews material off and the cheap inserts leave a beautiful finish on everything I've tried so far.

50mm OD, 22mm ID and 4 flute,

You also get 80mm and 100mm versions.

@doubleboost did a review on one.

Kram likes this.
  10. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Its a bit like those far eastern made brazed carbide boring bar sets, made for use in boring heads. The geometry of the cutting edges is miles off, very crudely made and a waste of time. But if they put a little bit more work into them they would actually be ok.

11. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Mine have been fine other than grinding a small relief underneath for smaller bores.

ronan likes this.
  12. Kram

Kram Member

This convinced me to order one last week for 20 quid, arrived yesterday from Cskwin. Not tried yet as my vertical slide is still being upgraded.. I'll be mostly using on alu so Im going to get some of these inserts.
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-Aluminum-APGT1604PDFR-G2-MA-H01-Carbide-milling-inserts-APGT-APKT-1604-10PC/153602981811

Rig Pig likes this.
  13. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Advertisements