Indexable boring bar.

1. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I need a 12mm shank indexable boring bar for my lathe, I've had a look on Ebay etc but there's so many to choose from I don't no what to get!
    I have small one (8mm?) but it's no good as I can't get it to centre height, the tungsten one I have was cutting ok but screeching badly until I tried sharpening it and now it's quite but don't work anymore :doh:
    So I think to save me from myself I need one with replaceable tips.
    Any suggestions on makes or type? I've got a Sandvik tool for normal turning jobs and it's very good but they are expensive, are the RDG tools ones any good?
    Thanks.

2. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

One with readily available inserts , I went ccmt because I use a lot of them

Hopefuldave likes this.
  3. Kram

Kram Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. Agroshield Member

As mike os says, it is helpful to choose a bar that takes the same inserts as your turning tools.

If CCMT are your thing, you would not go wrong with one from JB cutting tools. Look also at Chronos and ArcEuroTrade.

That one uses 09 inserts which are overkill on a 12mm dia. bar. The 09 inserts are also more money than 06 ones. The only reason to buy that is if everything else you have uses 09.

5. Steveblade

Steveblade Member

Why cant you pack it up to centre hight? Regrind on a green wheel.

MBB likes this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Shims are your friends. :thumbup:

MBB and mike os like this.
  7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Korloy are real quality at not too expensive prices

8. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Even when its hitting the top of the tool post it's still under centre.

9. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I think the inserts I have are TPMT no idea what they are or if they'll work in a boring bar:dontknow:

10. brightspark

brightspark Member

isn't there enough meat on it to mill a bit of the top of the tool

11. Steveblade

Steveblade Member

Sounds like the top at the cutting end has been ground away to much or you have a tool post problem/miss alignment. If its the latter a new bore bar aint going to help

12. Kram

Kram Member

Nope I have about 20 holders and most types of insert. Both sizes are cheap enough but 09 is far more durable. I ordered one of these yesterday after getting through 4x 06 inserts on one en19t part.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCLCR1212H09-12mm-Lathe-Holder-Turning-Tool-Boring-Bar-CCMT09T3-Inserts/174227681330

dobbslc likes this.
  13. northwest

northwest Member

I buy from two places generally unless it is something specific, Jenny at JB Tools: http://www.jbcuttingtools.com/epage...ctPath=/Shops/es461493/Categories/Boring_Bars because most of this stuff is made by Brian in his workshops from decent tool steel or I buy from APT here: https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/

I also buy Iscar tooling at every opportunity.

APT are having a bit of a sale on at the minute so some good discounts. I tend not to mess about with cheap and nasty tooling as it can waste both my time and materials.

I would like to see a pic or two of your setup.

dobbslc and zx9 like this.
  14. MBB Forum Supporter

Lift the whole tool post with shims under it.

15. zx9

zx9 Member

I second the call for JB Tools, Jenny is great to deal with, on the one occasion that things went slightly wrong she was very apologetic and sent a couple of free DCMT holders to make up for the inconvenience.

16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Cheap inserts and holders you’re just throwing good money after bad.

cheap holders fair enough but buy decent inserts and they’ll last months and months unless you’re doing production machining.

dobbslc likes this.
  17. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

The tool post is fine, the 8mm tool I'm talking about is an indexable ones, it's not been ground down. It's just that the lathe is designed for 12mm tools.

That would be a ball ache. I just need a 12mm tool that will fit with a couple of shims to get it on centre.
    I'll have a look at the links above.
    :thumbup:

18. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

@northwest thanks for the link.
    I've just had a look at that and think I've bought some inserts from her before, does she go to the autojumbles? The tool in the link has a round shank but mine are all square, will it still work?
    I'll get a photo later of the set up as any advice it very welcome.

Edit: I've just thought. Round shank tools are meant for QCTP are they not? Mine is just a 4 way job.

19. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Thanks mods for moving this thread to the correct place, I didn't notice there was a machining section! :ashamed::ashamed::ashamed::doh:

20. Agroshield Member

So how is a bigger bar going to help if this is the case?

Let us assume the top of the insert coincides with the top of the bar on both 8mm shank and 12mm shank. If the top of the 8mm one hits, the top of the bigger one will also hit, just the bottom of the bigger one will be lower.

If we assume the top of the insert is level with the centreline of the bar, a bigger bar will make the situation worse: the 8mm one will be 4mm below its top, the 12mm one will be 6mm below its top, so 2mm lower.

How do you make all your turning tools work as I have not seen many where the cutting edge is above the top of the tool shank?

All indexable bars have flats ground on the round shank so can sit on a flat surface. You might need to pack the back as well as the bottom so the clamping screws are close to the centreline of the bar.

dobbslc likes this.
Advertisements